Saving Him

Sam sat in one of the hospital chairs in Kyle Mills' room, his hand linked with Gabriel's as the man stared blankly ahead. Kyle was laying in the bed, a bandage wrapped around the entirety of his chest. When the ambulance had arrived, they had discovered several stab wounds and even a few burns, as if someone had hit him with white-hot metal.

Now, Kyle just looked tired and defeated, running a hand through his dark brown hair and leaning back his head on the pillow. "I get out tomorrow." Kyle commented to break the silence, although it did nothing for the dark mood. Sam couldn't blame him.

"That's why we're here. Gabriel and I wanted to ask you something." Sam said, motioning to the younger man. They had discussed this with Lucifer last night, and even asked the kids just to be sure. The whole family agreed it was the right thing to do. Now it was just the matter of getting Kyle to accept.

Kyle looked from Sam to Gabriel and back again. "What is it?" He asked, confusion in his eyes. Sam squeezed Gabriel's hand, allowing him to take over in the conversation.

"Since I can no longer watch the kids by myself, and while Lucifer is working and Sam is helping his brother, and because you happened to be my favorite student, we were hoping that you would consider coming to live with us. We asked foster care, and they agreed to the terms as long as you did." Gabriel said, a hope in his expression that was strong, even though his eyes remained blank.

The shock in Kyle's eyes, followed by a happiness made Sam smile and he tapped Gabriel's hand once as the boy nodded. "Yes! I would love to live with you!" Kyle said, tears welling in his eyes as he realized that he would have a home, even without his parents.

"Welcome to the family, kiddo." Gabriel said, a smile crossing his face as he leaned forwards, carefully searching out Kyle's hand before squeezing it and letting go. Sam smiled, looking over his new addition to his little family.

Things were going to be alright.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dean sat in front of the bulletproof glass, sadness in his eyes as he gazed at his husband on the other side. Castiel was watching him, his blue eyes filled with tears as he reached up, placing his hand on the glass and watching as Dean did the same.

"I'm so sorry Dean. I messed up." Castiel said tears spilling from his eyes, making Dean's heart wrench. He just wanted to see his husband again, and it broke him to know that if he failed, he wouldn't see him for a very long time.

"I think I may have found a way to get you out." Dean said, his voice low and urgent. He needed Castiel to know that he was going to do everything in his power to save him, no matter what.

"Get me out? Dean, isn't that impossible? I killed someone. My case is in three months." Castiel said, the hope in his eyes absent. Dean scoffed at his lack of belief, glaring at his husband. He'd never known him to give up so quickly so why was he now?

"Cas, I'm going to ask you a question, and all I need is a yes or no question." Dean said, waiting until Castiel nodded before continuing. "Did he shoot at you first or not?"

"Yes, but, why-" Dean cut him off with a growl and Castiel sighed, nodding. Dean gave the look of approval and leaned forwards, smiling gently and letting his love shine through.

"I'm going to file your case as self defense. You remember how that works right? When you shot John?" Dean asked, his voice gentle instead of the fear making it harsh. Castiel nodded, pain crossing his face just a little at the mention of Dean's father. Castiel never truly forgave himself, but he had managed to lock that memory away somewhere.

"I won't rest until I get you out, okay angel?" Dean said, his hand slowly sliding from the glass disappointingly. He wanted to touch Castiel, to kiss him, to love him like the man so deserved. He reminded himself that he had three months to make this case perfect, and stood.

"I'll visit you next week okay? I should have a good grasp on how to get you out then." Dean offered, staring at Castiel's face, trying to remember every plane as the prison guards led him away.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Lucifer smirked at the kids as they bounced around outside the playground, laughing and racing after each other, climbing on monkey bars and sliding down the slides. Carrie in particular was being loud, her laugh carrying through the entire playground and catching the attention of the other parents.

Then she was running over, her face red from the exercise and her short hair sticking at odd angles. It used to be long when she first lived with them, but Lucifer had got up one night to find her cutting her hair, whispering to the strands as they fell. When he asked her what she had said to them, she had just shrugged and said that her dad used to whisper to her when he cut her with scissors so she wouldn't cry. After that, Lucifer hid all the scissors in the house.

"Daddy! Jake found Gadreel!" She exclaimed excitedly, grabbing onto his shirt and tugging. "Gadreel has been gone ever since his parents went bye-bye! Come on, we have to go see!"

Lucifer frowned, standing slowly and letting her lead him towards the playground by the hand. The other parents watched, though they quickly lost interest and turned the other way. It wasn't until he reached the other side of the playground and got swallowed by trees that he understood what she was talking about.

Jake was crouched by a wide eyed boy, keeping his hand firmly linked with the boy's so he couldn't run. His brown hair was tussled and dull, as if he hadn't washed it in a week. His brown eyes were grainy. The worst thing was that he looked like he had been starved, his bones sticking out underneath his skin prominently.

That's when Lucifer recognized him as Jake's best friend and crouched down as well, reaching his hand out to the boy. "Gadreel? It's Lucifer. We've got you now. You're safe." Lucifer comforted, confusion in his eyes. He remember Sam telling him of the Shirleys' murders and Gadreel's disappearance, but how had he escaped detection for weeks on end only to be found by a kid confused the hell out of Lucifer.

The boy recognized him, as he began crying and ran into Lucifer's arms, hugging him tightly. Lucifer felt his heart break for the six year old and looked at Carrie and Jake, motioning for the both of them to follow before picking Gadreel up, and carrying him out of the woods.

First, he would take him to the hospital, then, he would try to figure out what the hell happened.