A Step Into a New Life

Sam helped Gabriel into the living room, holding his arm gently, but firmly in case the younger man stumbled. He had just gotten out of the hospital today, three days after they finally relieved the pressure that had caused his blindness. Sam would be lying if he said he wasn't exhausted from moving between Gabriel's room, the teen's room, and the police station.

"Did you check on Kyle today?" Gabriel asked as Sam helped him onto the couch, the Novak's hands roaming over Sam's arm and the seat below him, as if making sure they were still there. Sam nodded, then bit back a whimper when he realized that Gabriel couldn't see him anymore.

"Yeah, he should get out in the next day or so. Also, Dean told me that they found the parents in the state above. Apparently, they had tried to get to Canada before they got caught." Sam said, sitting down beside Gabriel and letting him rest his head on the Winchester's chest. "They're going away for a long time."

Gabriel sighed in relief, his fingers subconsciously rubbing up and down Sam's side as he stared at the wall blankly. Sam felt his heart twinge and he brushed his fingers through Gabriel's hair, leaning his head on him gently and kissing the top of his head, taking in his scent and sighing.

"What is Kyle going to do now? His parents are gone. Will he be put in foster care?" Gabriel asked, moving so he could look up in Sam's general direction. Sam leaned down, kissing his lips gently before pulling away, stroking Gabriel's cheek with his thumb.

"We'll get him out of it, don't worry about it. He can come live with us." Sam suggested, feeling Gabriel tense just slightly underneath him. The Novak reached out, his hand ghosting over Sam's lips before resting on his neck and pulling himself into Sam's lap.

"Now that I lost my job, we can't afford to have another kid." Gabriel mumbled, nuzzling into Sam's neck. Sam tipped his head so it was more comfortable, letting out a soft sigh, his hand sliding up and down Gabriel's back gently.

"You haven't lost your job. The Principal called and said that he wanted you to come back as soon as you could. They really like you." Sam replied, wrapping his arms tightly around Gabriel's waist in a squeezing hug.

"I can't teach kids when I can't see them." Gabriel complained, lifting his head and moving out Sam's grasp to the other side of the couch. Sam sighed, knowing that Gabriel was still very sensitive about his new disability and grabbed him, dragging the smaller man back over.

"The principal knows that. That's why he offered a job to me to be your sight aid." Sam said, and smiled when Gabriel froze, as if he had just told him the best news of his life and was trying to process it. It wasn't a moment later that tears spilled from his eyes, making tracks down his face.

"You mean....I can keep working?" Gabriel asked, a hope in his voice that had Sam hugging him tightly, a soft laugh playing on his lips as he felt his heart swell with happiness.

"Of course you can! How about we start tomorrow?" Sam suggested, standing and helping Gabriel up, leading him into the kitchen. Gabriel smiled brightly, wiping at his tears with his free hands, only for his smile to falter.

"I wish I could celebrate with Castiel and Lucifer too." Gabriel commented, his voice growing sullen. Sam felt bile rise in his throat, and he nodded, looking down at the ground. Things just wouldn't be the same without Castiel there.