The Trial

Hello! Before I begin, I would like to mention that I have a new story out! It's a Sabriel, and I don't think you guys want to miss it! It's called 'I Got My Boyfriend Pregnant' so make sure to give it a look!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Mr. Novak, you plead self defense. Could you please explain the details of the alleged attack against you by Mr. Bartholomew Harrington?" The persecuting lawyer said, standing where all the courtroom could see. Castiel sat at the stand, his palms sweating. This case determined his life after all.

Castiel swallowed the lump forming in his throat, looking over at his family that sat in the audience. Only Gabriel wasn't there, offering to stay at home with all the kids. "Well, I stood at the pier, and Bartholomew was standing at the end-"

"What were you doing at the pier?" The lawyer cut him off, a hard look in his eyes. He knew the man was only doing what his job demanded, but Castiel couldn't help but hate him.

"I had received a call while at the hospital with my brother, and they told me to meet them there in two hours." Castiel responded, meeting his gaze evenly as he let his mask slip over. Much like Lucifer, he too had a mask. One of bluntness. One to hide his fear.

"Why did you listen to the call? Why did you not simply ignore it and save yourself all this trouble?" The man asked, pressing harder on Castiel, as if trying to get him to crack. He had remembered this tactic from Sam's explaining and practice runs. He was trying to get incriminating evidence on Castiel.

"They threatened to kill my husband if I didn't." Castiel answered, and the court grew oddly quite, the juries mumbling stopping. The judge listened with interest, allowing the lawyer to continue.

"So, you went, under the pretense of a threat." The lawyer said, his eyes softening just a bit. Castiel took in a small breath, his lips quivering slightly. He might just get through this. "And, you met these two hooded men, the victim as one, as the witness reports went. Then what?"

"The one who called me said that we had to fight to the death." Castiel said, his voice dropping slightly. This is where it got onto complicated grounds.

"Why?" The lawyer asked. Castiel let his gaze flicker over to Dean's face, then Sam's before returning to the lawyer, gaining strength from the hope he had seen in their eyes.

"He said it was to prove ourselves." Castiel said, keeping his answers as vague as possible. The judged frowned, as if he was trying to work out what was going on. Castiel couldn't blame him.

"Do you know what he could have meant?" The lawyer asked, glancing towards the jury, who were listening intently.

"I believe he was a recruiter for the assassination group, the Angel's." Castiel replied, feeling his skin crawl as he heard whispers break out among the court room. The lawyer nodded, and Castiel hoped that he was doing this right.

"And how did you know this?" The lawyer asked.