Prologue

Chapter 00: Drunk-head

Ang init-init. 

I badly want to take a shower already. 

I’m having this sticky feeling and it’s starting to get into my nerves.

“See you on Monday!” I heard Timothy shout from his raptor with his windows down. Before driving away from the university’s second parking area, I blew my car’s horn as an answer to the latter. “I’m sorry if I can’t drop you home.” I muttered to Andy, one of my classmates from the nursing department who’s in the middle of tying her hair.

We’ve been heading home together for already a while, meaning she’s also been stuck with me for like a month.

“No worries, ano ba. Ako na nga lang ‘tong nakikisabay palagi pauwi.” She shrugged, still wearing her usual bright smile. “By the way, what’s your score kanina sa anaphy?” Andy asked, leaning sideways from her seat only to face my direction. 

Even after almost a month of being classmates, sometimes, I do still get nervous whenever I’m driving with her. Baka bigla siyang dumulas pababa sa sahig ng sasakyan o kaya naman bigla kaming mahuli. 

“Andy, Miss Usebio announced our scores earlier, or haven’t you heard mine for you to ask?” I tried confirming instead of simply answering.

“Oh right, perfect score ka rin ‘no? Grabe, ano ba mga kinakain niyo ni Estelle? Sabay-sabay naman tayong nag l-lunch sa caf, naka buffet ba kayo sa mga bahay niyo?”

Kung alam mo lang, Andy...

I could only sigh and shake my head as I pressed the button for unlocking the passenger seat’s door. “Okay mananahimik na hahah. Thanks for the ride, friend. Ingat and enjoy your date!” After waving back my hand at her, Andy already shut the door close as I dropped her at the terminal. 

Hindi ko maihahatid sa bahay nila si Andy because I’m meeting someone. Biglaan din lang kaya dito na lang sa terminal nagpahatid si Andy. Actually, I’m not going to a date, I can even sense that it’s the other thing that can possibly happen. I mean, it’s not usual for him to suddenly ask me to meet up with him. 

But Andy doesn’t need to know about that.

When I arrived at the club that he asked me to come, some people even had their eyes on me, and I couldn’t blame them. 

After all, I entered the club while still in my all-white nursing uniform. When I reached the table he reserved under my name, maybe it’s because he knew that I’ll arrive here earlier, I already ordered for a snack and a drink before taking out my microbiology book. 

May recitation pa kami sa Monday kaya naman it’ll be more compromising for me to read a few notes as a safety measure. 

Our professor in microbio is damn merciless. I don’t find any of our professors scary, I just don’t want to be shamed in front of our class. 

Noise has never been a distraction for me, after having Andy and Lauren with us inside the university, I found myself getting used to having no quiet surroundings when studying outdoors. Grabe talaga yung gulo kapag pinagtabi si Lauren at Andy, i-consider pa na hindi rin nawawala si Timothy sa mga break time and lunch namin. 

I could only sigh yet feel proud for being able to cope around them.

Finally doing better at fitting in. 

Glancing at my wristwatch, I realized that he’s already 18 minutes late. 

One of the things I hate the most?