Chapter 5: Merry

Chapter 5: Merry

“Here’s our gift.”

Daddy said as he handed me a bank check.

As usual.

“We didn’t know what to get you so there’s the money.” Mommy said as she served the lasagne she made.

“Thank you po.” I sincerely thanked them for the fifty thousand pesos written at the check. I don’t even have a single thing in mind that I want to buy, itatabi ko na rin lang muna ‘to.

Learning life lessons from Dwight for future purposes.

Our house was nothing special compared to most of our usual dinner. Mas nadagdagan lang talaga ang mga pagkaing nakahain sa lamesa, and we also had effort from dressing up nicely.

And it’s also only 8:00 in the evening.

Our family never really celebrated Christmas Eve, especially when my parents earned high positions in their firms. I no longer mind anymore though, grew up with such set up where I can’t complain because it’ll always be their profession over their daughter.

“Do you have any plans for New Year’s Eve? Like, may lakad ba kayo ng mga kaibigan mo?” Mommy suddenly asked. “Wala naman po.” I shortly answered. I’m sure my friends will be celebrating the holidays with their families.

“Paalis kasi kami ng Dad mo sa 30, and sa January 04 pa balik namin.” She further explained and I only nodded. “I don’t mind staying here for the New Year.” I replied.

“But all the helpers won’t return until the second day of January.” She added.

“I’m sure there will be restaurants open for deliveries. I can manage.” I shrugged.

“Fine, if you say so.”

Mommy sighed and we all continued having our early Christmas Eve’s dinner. Eventually, the dining table was once again engulfed with my parents’ conversation about their work. About the things they’ll have to prepare for their trip before the year ends.

Even when I already finished my plate, I just sat there, slightly playing with my flute of champagne that Mommy poured me herself. Roaming in my own sea of thoughts on how I would spend the entire days on my own here in our house.

I’m not complaining actually.

I can imagine myself trashing our kitchen, spending more time at the living area instead of holing myself up in my room. “Exciting...” I scornfully breathed under, enough for my parents to not hear.

After helping Mommy from placing the dishes at the dishwashing machine, she already motioned me out of the kitchen.

Guess I’m not really much needed in here.

“Merry Christmas!”

Everyone cheered from my laptop’s screen.

The bunch just once again started a video call, and I can immediately notice how much my background stand out the most.

“Hala bakla, patulog ka na ba Vanessa?” Josef asked who looks like he’s in a pavilion or something.

“You’re in your room?” Sunod naman ni Reilynne.

“Nope and yeah.” I simply answered, trying to fake a smile.

“Punta ka dito, Vanessa!” Lauren exclaimed who shoved her cousins out of the camera’s scope.

“She already drunk?” Timothy asked who couldn’t help but to chuckle.

“Yeah, obviously. Doesn’t really want to lose a thousand from every game.” Travis sighed, once again having enough with his sister. “Hoy ang kakapal niyo, akala niyo mga hindi kayo nakikipag negosyon sa’kin kanina para mapaghatian yung mga mapa-panalunan!” Lauren defended, once again shoving her cousins’ face out of the way.