Special Chapter: Brighter Days, Clearer Skies

“Do you want me to pull the windows down?”

Kyle asked and I quietly gave him a nod.

My eyes and attention are both still focused at the outside view we’re passing by. I couldn’t appreciate this beauty of Batangas and its seascapes for the last time I’ve been here; Kyle and I were driving during night time. And I really don’t have any ounce of energy to even roam my eyes around back then.

“By the way, why do you guys just didn’t decide to hold the event at your beach house?” I asked, already sitting firmly on my seat as I return my eyes at Kyle.

“As far as I can remember, that resort’s the place where they had their first kiss.” Kyle replied, resting his elbow on the windowsill, using the same hand to brush back his hair that’s being dishevelled by the warm salty air.

“Christmas party namin ‘yon eh.”

Kyle added, reminiscing their senior high school memory.

“You guys are really a bunch of party-goers aren’t you?” I pointed out, making him let out a chuckle. “I don’t know if I already told you this story but I’ll share it anyway.” He said, smiling at the specific memory he have in mind.

“I hardly flunked one of my exams back then, Gen Bio if I remember correctly. Grabe sobrang takot ko no’n na baka mapagalitan ako ni Mommy, tapos yung mga kasama ko puro kaputanginahan pa pinagsasabi.” Reklamo niya at may bahagya pang pag-lingon sa’kin as if he’s still overly-offended of what our friends did years ago.

“Tapos ayon nagka-ayaan kumain sa labas na naging inuman na rin syempre. Lauren then had this demonic idea of shoving a lettuce wrap to my mouth filled with wasabi ang gochujang. Diyos ko hanggang ngayon nararamdaman ko yung pagkasunog ng dila ko. They all only watched me suffer, tapos si Lauren ang iniabot pa sa’king inumin is soju. Do the math, and the next thing we know was we’re already inside the hospital’s emergency room.”

Staring at him, watching him smile vibrantly at the old memory he’s already told me a couple of times ever since would always unconsciously make me let the side of my lips rise at the sight of him.

Hindi lang ‘to yung kwentong paulit-ulit na niyang na m-mention but I just let him have the time of his life.

I mean, I do also quietly enjoy watching him exaggeratingly tell stories.

Eight months have already flown by.

Walong buwan na magmula nang iwan kami nila Zach at Tito Joven; walong buwan na ang nakalipas since I started residing in Green Hills.

And it’s already been eight months after we almost lost Estelle to suicide.

She snapped, she lost her light.

“You think EJ will be fine later on? Like don’t you think she might end up getting overwhelmed?” Kyle worriedly asked. I then could only answer him with a brief silence. I honestly don’t know. She’s still out in the road coming all the way from Winsborough as she decided to visit Zachary on her own.

Isa-isa ko namang inalala lahat ng napag-planuhan nilang magpi-pinsan.

From the cover-up reunion with their senior high school batch mates, to the surprise they’ve been preparing for months.

“Honestly, we’ll never know unless we see her reaction.” I shrugged.

But knowing Estelle, I think I already know how this night would end.

Arriving to the resort, Kyle and I were greeted by some of their co-alumni from Dhelmore.

Kyle’s exchanging greetings with the bunch out here in the parking lot and I currently am watching them from a distance, leaning my body to his brand new Ford Everest. Same vehicle on its brand new released model.