Chapter 30 (Part 2): Hearts' Full

Chapter 30.2: Hearts’ Full

“The ending’s predictable.” Buntong hininga ni Jemima na nakasandal sa’kin.

We just finished watching the short series that we started yesterday. Huling gabi ngayon ng lamay ni Tito Joven kaya dagsa ang nakikiramay sa bahay nila Tita Seira, that’s why Jemima and I decided to step back and just return here in their house. Sabi naman kanina ni Kyle susunod na rin siya pauwi, pero alas onse na ng gabi mukhang nasa bahay nila Nexon pa rin silang lahat.

“But still a good one, don’t you think?” I muttered at agad namang tumango si Jem.

She even snuggled closer to me.

“Eleven na, still not sleepy?” I asked her, brushing her hair as she rests her head on my shoulder.”I’ll wait for Kuya.” She replied. “Hindi pa ako nakakapag sorry kay Kuya, Ate. About the joke I made earlier.” She further explained at napakurap naman ako.

“By the way Ate Nessa, I have this thought.”

Jemima said, refraining me from replying to her words.

“Voice it out.” Saad ko na lamang.

“Marriage shouldn’t the goal in a relationship right?” Jemima already obliged.

“Like people should stop thinking that getting married is the biggest achievement you could ever achieve?” Sulyap pa sa’kin ni Jemima na pinanglalaro ang kamay naming dalawa.

“Marriage shouldn’t be the goal, a successful marriage should be. Getting married is honestly can be one of the easiest things to achieve, but to have an unconditional, genuine, and successful marriage? Sobrang hirap kung iisipin.” I started and Jemima suddenly chuckled. “Getting a degree’s even harder than getting married.” She said, making the side of my lip rise. “Right.” I agreed as I pulled her closer to me, making her giggle even more.

“Why are you even asking about this stuff? You’re still thirteen.” I asked.

“No particular reason, Ate. Naisip ko lang dahil na rin siguro sa pag-uusap niyo kanina nila Kuya.” She said in response. “Your Kuya would over-react if ever you initiate this conversation with him.”

“Knowing him, I also bet.” She sighed.

For a brief moment, the two of us were embraced by silence.

Tanging ang preview ng recommended movie sa Netflix lang ang nagbibigay ingay sa buong salas ng bahay nila Jemima habang malumanay ko na siyang tinatapik sa braso niya.

“I know you love Kuya Kyle, Ate. You may not have marriage in your mind right now, but I’m sure your love towards him makes you want the idea to spend more years with him, don’t you? That’s better than planning your marriage isn’t it? Wanting to have and live almost the rest of the time you have left in this world, I guess that’s way better than being bonded by signed papers and wearing matching rings that would eventually no longer fit on your fingers as time passes by. You want to experience that with Kuya, right?”

Jemima suddenly said, even slightly glancing at me to have my answer.

Giving her a small smile, I pulled her head closer to my shoulder and started brushing her hair.

“Of course, Jem...I want to have that with your Kuya.”

Parang dati lang...when Jemima was still little, tanda ko yung gabing nagpumilit siyang tawagan ang kuya niya kasi sa bahay nila Nexon kami natulog after celebrating and partying during Rei and Travis’ anniversary when we’re on our second year in college. Jemima was looking for me that time.