« What ifs »

The beeping sound of my phone haunted my ears for fifteen poor seconds as I was secretly wishing for my dad to never pick up the call I was making. Indeed as soon as I walked out, taking the way back home and called my father like I said I would to tell him everything. But once I pressed the « call » button, I felt a sudden pressure. I realised I'd have to tell him about all the events from the past year in detail. Basically everything I hid from him, that could've helped him in his job, knowing many people were attacked by Kingpin that he has been chasing for years, and if I had open my mouth earlier, I could've spared many souls. I clenched my eyes shut as I gulped, his voice finally (and unfortunately) was heard on the other side of the line.

Hello butterfly ? He asked in a soft tone. I opened my mouth to speak, but no words would come out. Suddenly, I was terrified. What if he doesn't believe me ? What if he reacts like Miles ? What if he thinks I'm lying or yell at me for not telling him earlier ?

Hi dad, um, I... I... I hesitated to talk, muttering while my brain was searching for the right words. How do I even start telling a story that is so long and grave. When I blinked, for half a second I imagined him red with anger, screaming at how disappointed he was with me. I let out a gasp as I stopped walking, suddenly frozen.

Gwen ? What's wrong ? He softly asked after I was silent for a minute.

I just.. wanted.. to tell you.. I cleared my throat, shaking my head to try and make it clearer up there, I shouldn't let my intrusive thoughts win. I have to do it. But can I do it though.. Um, I wanted to tell you that I have to stay at a friend's for a moment... it's for a common homework.. I lied, biting my lip while internally praying he wouldn't catch me lying.

Oh, no problem but don't you want to come pick up some clothes before going there ? And I made dinner for 2, maybe you should eat at home tonight ! He offered, I sighed, relieved he didn't see it before speaking again.

It's alright, I'm already in front of her door actually and her mother made dinner for us !

Oh, okay then...

I'll come by tomorrow to pick up some clothes...

Alright... you have your keys so don't bother. He added. So... how was your day with Miles ? He asked, images of our « fight » instantly flashed in my eyes as I took a deep breath.

Great. I simply answered in a scoff, clenching my fist. We broke up though, I added, guessing I'd at least tell him a part of the truth tonight, I could hear him gasp.

Oh ! Shoot, I'm sorry sweetheart what happened ?

I'll tell you when I see you... I said, not really wanting to live the scene a third time today.

Okay, come home soon and take care butterfly, I'll see you. He answered and I could hear him smile. I was glad he didn't ask further questions about the whole situation so I kissed him goodbye and hung up before I pursued my walk, this time heading towards Gayatri's house.

• • •

Gwen ! She exclaimed surprised when she opened the door. I was glad she did though because I wouldn't know what to say to her parents if they were the one to open. Why didn't I call her first before coming though ? What if she wasn't here, would've been embarrassing, and I'd have nowhere to go honestly. It's surprising to see you here, how are you ? She then asked with a smile, I smiled back. In fact I only came here once with everyone, we just came to get her but I still remembered the way (even though I rang 3 times at the wrong door.)

Yea I'm sorry to come over without telling you first... I squeezed my lips but she shook her head.

No it's alright, you want to come in ?

Veshya I almost got it ! I heard a voice screaming in the background and I immediately recognised Pavitr's one causing me to chuckle. He always had so much energy. Gayatri rolled her eyes before turning her face the other way.

Pavitr, what did I say about swearing there are kids ! Dobaara bure shabdon ka prayog na karen* ! I laughed hearing her screaming back at him and his tiny « sorry » was heard. He's playing Fornite with my little brother... they're so loud. She shook her head as she turned it back to me, she then took a step aside to invite me in.

Oh it's Gwen ! My favorite blonde person ! He shouted, his eyes flicking open. He left the console on the couch and he ran to me. A small head turned to me and I guessed it was her little brother.

Hi Pav, I see you got energy even that late. I smirked handshaking him as we started walking to the living room.

Always, he giggled taking back his console. Gahan ! I told you to protect me while I was gone ! It's been only 30 seconds why are we both dead ?!

It's not me a player came out of nowhere and I was stressed so I threw the console on the couch !

Oh little boy you're lucky you're so cute ! He messed with his hair in a playful way.

Your brother is funny. I chuckled while looking at him panicking each time a player popped up.

He's so loud and annoying, I'm glad the 3 others went to see maimee. She chuckled while looking at him, she looked done but I could tell she actually enjoys his company. So did you want something in particular ? Gayatri's attention went back to me.

Oh, um right. I know it's weird and all but I wondered if you'd let me stay over for a couple days...? I carefully asked, looking up in her eyes and her lips parted as she seemed a bit surprised.

I can of course, do you have a problem at home ? She asked in a worried tone.

Oh no it's not family problem it's... deeper, and it's Miles also. I finally admitted in a shrug.

Oh, I see. She nodded, lips squeezed. We're gonna need some girl talk... Pavitr you have to go home ! She screamed at him.

Just finishing my game Betu ! He said while still focused on the TV screen.

It's good you came here, we can have a girls talk. She said as I nodded, faintly smiling. Ok I at least owe her a little explanations if I'm going to stay here.

Gayi, what's taking you so long down there ? I heard another voice as my eyes opened wide, I slowly turned to the source of the sound.

Margo is staying over for a common homework by the way ! She explained as I cleared my throat awkwardly chuckling.

Just great.

That's all folks.
Sorry for the wait btw haha
Hope u enjoyed ! Please vote and comment a lot🫶🏽

* « Don't use bad words again » I think that's what I wrote in Hindi, if you're a speaker feel free to correct me because I have zero experience except « chai tea »😔

But whatever, what do u think can happen with Margo later ? And if Gwen tell her about their break up what would be her reaction...👀

There will finally be 62 chapters in total btw, so we're 10 chapters from the end :(. Happy or sad ending ? I don't know, you'll figure it seeing how the events turn I guess😀
I will just tell you Hobie will sort of be the solution or the cause to however it ends😭😭

when it ends though, if some of y'all are interested in Arcane I'm currently writing a Timebomb story that I will post when this one is over ! Or probably sooner idk I want to publish it already tbh but I don't want to botch this work or make longer waits for the following chapters because I have another story. Though for the other the chapters are ready... idk🤷🏽‍♀️🤷🏽‍♀️

Anyways see u next time😼