ransom letter

Jason's pov

"What a day" I ran my hand down my face tiredly. I spent the day exploring rooftops and stopping petty criminals. I think all these years of being out of the hero jig are catching up to me!

"Nice work Jason" dick clapped me on the back "it's just like old times"

"Don't go getting sentimental on me grayson" I chuckled softly though I got what he meant. Fighting alongside each other for the good of others feels pretty good.

"So a little birdie told me that you and roy are together" dick smirked.

"Caroline told you didn't she" I shook my head.

"Hey I just happened to call and the kid told me everything. Can I help it that I'm her favourite uncle?" He winked at me "you know I always knew you two would end up together"

"You're so full of shit dick" I glared at him.

"What you doubt moi?" He held his chest in mock offense "still I'm happy for you. You both deserve happiness"

"Thanks dick" I nodded greatfully. He's a good guy. I'm glad to have my brother back.

He wrapped his arm around me "come on, I'll walk you home"

*Time skip*

I walked inside, expecting to be greeted by my loving boyfriend and daughter but was instead greeted by a trashed apartment.

Panic immediately set in "Roy!" I searched around the apartment desperately "Caroline! Where are you-"

"Jason" dick placed a hand on my shoulder, his expression grave "you need to see this" he handed me a note. I shot him a confused look before reading the note.

Dear little jaybird
I've noticed that you didn't take my life when you had the chance, instead opting to protect the girl and archer. I was intrigued so I snatched them up while you were gone. Maybe I'll torture them to death, that is unless you come to me alone. I'll be waiting.
The crown prince of crime.

I clenched the paper until it tore in half "I'm going to kill that bastard"

"We're going to help you get them back" dick said calmly.

"No!" I said firmly "I can't put them in danger. I have to go alone"

He nodded understandingly "we'll be there to provide backup"

I stared out the window with a steely resolve. I won't fail this time. I will save my family or die trying.