Main hi Naina ke kaabil nahi hun

Sorry for the delay 🙏 der lagi kyonki khud pe control nahi hai 🫣 update is 5k+ words

Sameer's words continued to ring in Naina's ears as she completed her night routine. She was confused by his behavior toward her. His sudden attentiveness and the way he seemed to care so deeply now left her bewildered. She couldn't understand why he was pretending to be so concerned when, not long ago, he was ready to slander her name at any given chance. His conceited ego appeared to have gone into hibernation. The one who found it extremely hard to even admit his wrongdoings earlier was always quick to seek forgiveness now. The change in him was stark, and it only added to her uncertainty. He seemed to have come a long way from the unapologetic arrogance he had around him.

Was this some attempt to ease his own guilt, or was there something more genuine behind his actions? Her mind raced with questions, but she found no clear answers. It was as if he had become a completely different person, and she struggled to make sense of it all, torn between believing in his sincerity or accepting that it was all just an act. The warmth in his eyes and the concern in his voice felt real, yet she couldn't shake the doubt that lingered in her heart.

After changing for the night, she stepped out into a silent room. When she had gone to the washroom, Sameer was awake. Now, just a few minutes later, he was in bed, with his lamp switched off. The soft light of her side of lamp was enough for her to see that his eyes were shut, and his chest rose and fell in a slow, steady rhythm. He was asleep.

It felt a bit odd. She had noticed in her earlier days with him that Sameer had this habit of being on his phone for a long time before he slept. With earbuds plugged in, he would check social media sites, laughing at something or mumbling at other. But since last couple of months, he had stopped touching his phone before he went to bed. It had become a habit for him to sleep by ten. Everyday. Probably he felt sleepy because he was getting up quite early for his exercise. Anyway, it suited her well. Since she did not spend much time on social media, her only reason to stay up late was either work or a call with Natasha.

'Hmm.' That was Natasha's only reaction when next day Naina gave her the reason of the disturbance in their call.

'Tujhe apne dimaag ke ghodon ko jagane ki zarurat nahi hai. It was nothing.' Naina stated in a casual voice, 'Glass usse gira tha isliye woh bas mujhe rok raha tha.'

'Maine kuch kaha kya? Nahi na. Toh tu itni safai kyon de rahi hai? Woh bhi Sameer ke favour mein. Kya yeh badlaav ghodon ke liye enough reason nahi hona chahiye?' Natasha challenged with a teasing tinge to her voice.

Naina did not get defensive, rather took a deep breath before speaking her thoughts aloud, 'Actually you're right. Kuch toh badla hai Nutty. Mujhe samajh nahi aa raha kya par Sameer...' She went quiet, searching for the right words. 

Natasha smiled at the other end, but did not let her friend get a whiff of it when she asked in a confused voice, 'Kya badal gaya? Sameer ne contract ke terms change kiye hain kya? Tujhse puche bina? Naina, dekh tu uski baaton mein mat aana. One year means one year. Agar woh pehle khatm karne ko bole toh saaf saaf keh dena ki paise toh poore ek saal ke hi dene honge. Lekin agar extend karne ko bole toh bhi mat manna. Arey, koi game hai kya? Kab tak shaadi ka natak karegi tu, woh bhi aise insaan ke saath jisey tu ek second ke liye bhi tolerate nahi kar sakti.' 

'Yaar Nutty tu kuch bhi bolti hai. Sunn toh le pehle.' Naina exhaled in exasperation when Natasha paused to take a breath, 'Maine contract ki baat kab ki? Main toh general behaviour ka bol rahi hun.'

'Ohhh!' Natasha drawled, 'Toh saaf saaf bol na ki Sameer sudharne laga hai.' 

Naina pondered over the word for a moment, then sighed, 'Sudharne ka toh pata nahi par... pehle se alag ho gaya hai. Ajeeb si harkatein karta hai, jaise usey meri bohot fikr hai. Har baat pe bhadakta bhi nahi. Mujhe lagta hai uske exercise routine ne usey thoda shaant kar diya hai. Kehte hain na, a healthy body harbours a healthy mind... bas wohi ho raha hai shayad uske saath.'