Chapter 10

Belle was as if floating among clouds. Clouds she could easily tear through like they were a form of slightly intensified wind in real.

She discovered she couldn't feel her limbs. Yet she was hurting all over. Soon after that hurt faded away, she found herself on a stone, just sitting there quietly. She was staring at the woods on the other side of the fence in front of her.

The view was not clear. The massive trees, quivering grass, falling leaves - everything seemed to be drenched in liquid color. It was all so surreal, yet she could sense their importance. She didn't know how, though.

The trees in the woods swayed in a ghastly motion. A swirling breeze blew past her. It was so cold that she shivered violently. The swaying of the trees increased, and the branches were now making creaking noises. And from the foggy darkness behind the trees—pale, no, gradually intensifying red eyes stared back at her. There was just one pair in the beginning, but then, another pair of such crimson eyes, slightly dimmer than the first one, appeared.

When she paid more attention, she could see more eyes around. They were like fireflies lighting the scary woods.

Her heart raced. But strangely, she wasn't scared.

"Kristin!"

Someone's loud voice boomed behind her. She jumped but couldn't blink, couldn't look away from the hundreds of eyes staring back at her from the woods.

"Come back..." The voice bellowed again.

She was about to turn around this time, see who it was and who they were calling like that. But at the end moment, the feeling of floating returned with gusto. The clouds sucked her back into them again. Restlessly, she kept wandering against her will.

-------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The change has started," Simon stated. "But it could also be her memories coming back—" He paused unsurely and then added nervously, "Or it could be the concussion."

Jacob narrowed his eyes. "You are supposed to be the doctor here. What good are you for if you don't know a thing for sure? Answer your alpha at this instant!" Jacob bellowed, getting angrier by the second.

Simon gulped. "With all due respect, you need to understand that some things are not in our hands or in our knowledge. Every person is different from the other. And when humans are changed to wolves, that too in such a critical condition she was in, on the brink of death, abused so badly, suffering from a concussion in the head and amnesia—it becomes even harder to tell what's really happening."

Dragging a hand down his tired face, Jacob sighed.

He plopped back into the bench outside the infirmary. This moment reminded him of the time when Belle was brought in here for the first time. The difference was that back then he knew she was special and had this urge to protect her. And now, his heart was literally about to fail with this over-protectiveness he was feeling for her, and his mind was going nearly insane not knowing what for real was happening with her.

What if it was something serious?

Wolves were not prone to get life-threatening diseases or anything, just mere headaches or anxiety when tensed or during pregnancy. But Belle had not changed into a wolf yet, and his own wolf was on the surface, dying in tension just as much as he was. He and his wolf both had gotten too attached to Belle. Especially his wolf had been acting like a tamed purring, whining puppy caged inside him since the moment Belle had petted his wolf's furry head.