Chapter 26

"There she is!" Seth almost yelled in excitement.

"Damn it, shut your trap!" Victor barked in a hushed tone. "Someone will hear us."

Sighing lowered his head down inside the bush where he and Victor had been hiding in since this evening.

They were ecstatic when Jacob had appointed them to spy on Belle and her people and jump out to protect them when necessary. They would do anything for the luna and her happiness, just like their alpha.

So now, Seth and Victor were situated in this bush right inside the village boundary as the proud spies and guards of the luna and her people. They were positive other wolves back in the pack were feeling jealous of them. Poor pups.

"What do you think she's taking into the shade?" Seth asked.

"I don't know," Victor muttered absentmindedly. "But she's walked out the hut for the first time since we came here."

"Yeah." Seth replied and then sniffed the air, Victor did the same as well. Both of their eyes widened in realization.

Pastries!

That too made by the luna it seemed, no wonder it would taste like heaven. They recalled the foods she used to cook back then when she was living in the pack. Sighing dejectedly they gave each other long, sad looks. Their stomachs growled right after.

Hunger is not a positive matter while spying.

-

Her blood had turned cold in fear when exactly a week ago Kristin stepped out the hut.

The villagers that night who were sitting under a shade, talking among themselves in dark stiffened seeing her sauntering towards them. Everyone was in a relatively relaxed state that they had built up a system of guarding the village perimeters in small groups. It was hard to be more stealthy than the beasts that were residing on the mountain, but they were quickly learning to be as much cunning. The beasts for their hightened senses were over confident, villagers caught onto the fact and used it as an advantage.

The silence was skin biting, somehow Kristin gathered her guts and looked up at the unsure faces of her fellow people. She had grown up with them, loved them and would do anything to protect them, she knew they would do the same as well. That made her toughen up her nerves to break this unneeded wall she had created.

She heaved a discreet, internal sigh hoping that she had acted the same way to her beasts. It was a regret that would stick to her for a long time, she realized.

There was a table style log next to where she stood, clearing her throat she kept on it the large tray filled with handmade, old style pastries. Her grandmother's recepie, she remembered how much her friends loved these cakes. Glancing among the people who were looking back and forth from the pastries to her nervous face, she smiled.

"I...," she began with awkwardness, but soon shaking it off she smiled brighter. "I thought to bake some pastries. Well, go on - eat them."

That was all the encouragement the villagers needed and they set upon the pastries like famished vultures.

Food is one of the best ways to reconcile things.

When pastry filled mouths screamed muffled complements to her for such delicious treat, Kristin leaned sideways against the shade's beam, a teary smile appeared on her lips.