Chapter 19

Theo bit his tongue in concentration, his face pressing against the iron bars of the cell. One end of a thin stick was clutched tight in his hand while he tried to insert the other end in the ring holding the multiple keys. It was a remarkable work of fate that he had found that stick inside the cell, near a stacked up pile of garbage in a corner, it could be seen very well that the gang or what ever were not decent in the department of cleaning up.

The light jingling noises that came from those every time the stick connected wrongly to keys, were drowned because of the loud snores thankfully.

Lan, one of Theo's prison guards, was slumbering like there was no tomorrow, his roaring snores now occupied most of the hours of Theo's days and nights. His other guard, Hugo was out of the underground dungeon, bringing them all food from above. It was amusing how during having meals, the guards would sit across him on the floor as they ate, at the other side of the bars. It strangely made Theo feel like the guards were trying to make him feel less lonely. Now how did it make sense? Why the guards would attempt to make him feel comfortable in prison was totally out of his mind. They even brought a weird guy reeling of alcohol the other day, threw him into one of the cells saying that he was annoying everyone shitless these days. And soon Theo understood why. The guy just could not stop singing "Have you ever really loved a woman". Thankfully they released him after some hours before Theo died of a migraine.

Theo kept poking at the ring of keys dangling from Lan's belt buckles with a hand extending. He was focusing real hard for he didn't want to poke Lan's bum in stead. Since the day they had put him in the cell, despite the numerous interrogation sessions, not once had they tortured him, and that was something unexpected. It was a good thing surely, but he didn't want to test his luck at the moment, get caught by poking the huge guard and invite a beating session out of no where. Theo didn't trust these a**holes.

He had been worried sick about Kristin here, asking them numerous times about her was of no use. They were tight lipped about her and only let him know that she was alright and had just lost her memory. Everytime he asked, those were the same answers he got, again and again like a broken record. However, that one time, during one of his interrogations, the ringleader of these scoundrels - Jacob or whatever was his name, really scared him shitless when he insisted that they call Kristin by her real name and not Belle. Jacob was growling and shaking like he was having a seizure and then he looked... well - sad. That guy was totally a psychopath, Theo concluded. Otherwise why would he react like that over a name. And he felt far more worried for Belle after that, going out of his mind thinking what was her state in this place. Was she being kept chained somewhere? Beaten, abused? Getting used as a servant for these horrid people? Treated in ways that made him want to puke in panic and misery?

To have his mind out of all those panicky, depressive thoughts, therefore Theo indulged himself in planning his escape. That was better than sitting duck and lose his sanity over wondering endlessly that in which horrid state they had kept Kristin.

He nearly dropped the stick when it grazed Lan's thigh. His movements ceased, the stick hung in mid air.

It certainly tickled a bit because Lan squirmed, mumbling something incoherent under his breath. But luckily, after fluttering his eyes for a short moment, right when Theo thought that he was going to wake up and catch him red handed... in this case - "stick - handed", Lan settled back down into sleep again slouching against the mossy, stone wall.

Theo sighed shakily.

Perspiration trickled down the sides of his head and beaded on his forehead as he got back onto work again.