Chapter 13

Belle wondered around in almost every shop in the market with Jacob dutifully by his side staring at her like she had grown an extra - amusing head, and also there were this two dozen men also trailing behind them everywhere in a very happy mood. Needless to say, wherever they went in the huge marketplace, they created chaos and drew attention of every human being. Girls gave the men gooey eyes, but the men were clueless, and it made Belle wonder if they were that much experienced in wooing the female population.

"Do they not date?" Belle asked Jacob as he paid for her dresses. 

"We don't have many female to date back home in the forest, as you have already seen." Jacob answered while picking up the bags of various dresses handed out to him and Belle. 

Belle seemed thoughtful for a while, and then when they came out of the shop with those two dozen men following. She was careful on keeping her volume down so that they couldn't hear, but she didn't know if it was a successful attempt because most of the men seemed to blush just this tiny little bit while the others looked away wide eyed.

"Then they should come here in the town often, I can see many girls here and those girls seem to be interested in them too." Belle said gesturing around.

Jacob looked around and found that Belle was right indeed, girls were nearly swooning on his pack of hunks. And that girl in the left store by the escalator just drooled, for real. Coughing furiously, Jacob looked away and back to Belle. 

Belle chuckled and looked at the men behind them, now they appeared like they had been just fed a handful of chili, such red their cheeks were. 

On the other hand, Jacob was thinking about how good it would have been if the pack could really find their life partners among these girls in the town. Their coming to the town was not a problem, the problem was that these girls were human. It would be risky if werewolves started dating and mating so many human girls at once, their existence would be risked to be getting exposed to the whole world that way. Besides, there were always hunters slithering around, if they found even a single trail of his pack...

NO, he didn't want to think about it. Jacob didn't want to kill humans nor did he want his fellow pack members getting killed, both of which would surely happen during a war. 

Looking around him, Jacob noticed how back dated the marketplace and out there the whole town was than the other towns situated many miles away from here. It was a blessing for his pack, and for his whole kind - that this part of the state wasn't equally modernized as the rest of the cities and towns. This mountainside area spread for miles, were known as the dwelling place of tribes who never gave a damn about the modern technology, so the human authorities chose to just ignore it. Jacob and other Weres were more than grateful for that, their secret existence was saved.

Brushing all the critical thoughts away, Jacob smiled down at Belle and began walking again with her slowly. "What can I say, Belle. These girls are not the quite wilderness lovers, and my huge family over here...," he gestured towards the men who had started walking too but maintaining a good distance this time. "They just wouldn't sacrifice living in the forest for anything."

"You all are unbelievable!" Belle sighed shaking her head.

Jacob just winked as he ushered her into yet another shop. 

Belle paused at the entrance with a playful scowl. "I think you've already bought me enough clothes, Jacob. Besides, I don't want you guys to starve for the next few months while you spend all your savings after me. It's too much."

"You don't need to worry about us starving." Jacob indulged. "I know it doesn't look like it, but I've got enough money to provide for triple the men present in my family for the rest of their lives and their children's too. I just don't show it off."