Chapter 23

"Then I ask you to let me go."

Jacob knew this was the final nail to this coffin, the coffin that would hold his love.

Pressing the side of his face to the window of the room that Belle... Kristin had stayed in since the last months, Jacob watched. He watched her go. Was he weak as an alpha that his eyes were moist at the sight? He must be. In more ways than one, he had failed in all those very vivid ways.

Theo led her through the trees at the end of the yard. And it hurt so much more that she never looked back, it was almost as if she was desperate to discard whatever it was she shared with him and his pack.

He understood her and her reasons, he really did, and he was aware of his own faults. But that didn't help the pain that was twisting his heart from the inside.

His decisions based upon fear of his secrets had at last payed back, by taking away his one true love.

When his wolf eyes could not see Belle anymore; when he could not smell her intoxicating smell or feel what she was feeling which was not very far from his own emotional state, Jacob slid down the length of the window and sat down on the floor with his knees bending before him. There was blood rushing furiously in his ears making it hard to listen anything anymore, his heart or his wolf he could feel neither for the first time in his life. What he could feel only was the excruciating pain all over, it was strong enough to physically hurt and there was no escape.

Infinite howls echoed around in the woods, as the pack grieved, for their only girl - who'd at last remembered her past and rejected the life they gave her. She left them, and they knew their world would never be the same again.

"Why did you not try to stop her anymore?" Damien's hoarse voice came from the door after what felt like hours.

It was very dark in the room, Jacob realized.

"You could have commanded her wolf to not move an inch," Damien said further, his voice rising clearly, words that came out of his mouth had a slight stutter. "You are her alpha as well, her wolf would have obeyed you. You should have done something, why did you not?"

"Because," Jacob didn't look up, his voice was hollow when he spoke. "There is nothing she asks and I would not give her."

Because she came into his life and in no time became the center of his Universe; because he might be an alpha but was a slave to her wishes; because there was not a thing as taller as the fear of him losing her. And he had not lost her yet, through the blanket of pain he could see the little loophole in the wish he had granted to her.

Damien walked near Jacob slouched form on the floor, his feet made loud thuds in the silent room. Jacob's elbows rested on his knees and hands dangled in front in a purposeless way.

Damien thrust something cold and hard into Jacob's open palm. "She left it on the porch."

Jacob blinked and looked at the object in his hand. The ruby necklace of his mother, the one he had put around his Belle's neck. His hand closed around it firmly but gently with glinting purpose and determination flashing in his eyes.

-- -- --

It took hours for Kristin and Theo to cross the deep forest and to reach a clearing of some sort from where a dirt road started. An old truck stood by that wide road. Theo walked toward it patted the bonnet, the truck was clean because of light drizzling last night.

"I had to discard it and walk by foot from here on," Theo said.

Not getting a reply from Kristin, he sighed and quietly slid inside the driver's side. Slowly, Kristin too got inside the truck as well.

It had been a hellish experience for Kristin to detach the ruby necklace from her neck but she did it; while walking away from the house she felt like her heart wouldn't be able to bear the anguish that was almost close to physical pain but she endured it; and she thought her trembling legs would give away when she heard infinite mourning howls from around her, one of them coming from her own wolf inside her skull but she managed to keep on walking. She was aware of the feeling of Jacob's scorching eyes on the back of her head, looking at her from the distance, and she could feel what he was feeling which was not different from her own emotions of grief and heart break. Her determination had faltered then and she had half a mind to turn around and run into Jacob's arms but as soon as the second thought came she swiped it away with vehemence. She wouldn't ever forget what Jacob and the other had done to her, she was violated in more than one ways. For God's sake, she was was robbed off her humanity, her free will and made a possession.

"Are you...," Kristin paused momentarily. "Aware of the fact that I'm a beast as well now?"

It was the first in hours she had spoken since leaving the packhouse.

She could feel Theo's stare on her but she refused to look at him. She was scared of the possible rejection from Theo, and the rejection and hatred that might be directed towards her from the villagers and rebels when they knew this information after her return.

Theo stayed silent, thoughtfully silent for a long time. "Yes," he said. "And I also can't help but note the difference between the beasts that attacked and ruined our village and the ones that found you."

Kristin's eyes snapped up to meet Theo's. There was no further talk after that as Theo started the engine after a few tries and they set off towards their destination.

Hey, friends and readers! How are you all? Jacob and Belle or should say Kristin's story has reached the interval. 

Did you enjoy this chapter? What do you think is going on in Jacob's mind? And do you think he was right in letting his Belle go? There're challenges waiting for the both of them and I've yet to introduce the real beasts that Kristin hates. ;) And let's face it - Jacob and his pack is kinda weak and the number of members and the way Jacob is leading them all is not helping at all. All the pain, hard time and rough paths are needed to toughen this pack. Let's hope they rise from the ashes before it is too late. 

Take care.
Lots of love and hugs for your votes and comments! 
Don't forget to vote and comment on this chapter as well, remember always that your votes and comments are the source of my encouragement to write. 

- Lara.
(Howls and runs away! lol...)