Chapter 24

The harrowing tightness in his chest was always present, even in his sleep that he hardly got anyway... it would not disappear. More than two weeks had passed since Belle left, her absence screamed around each corner of the house which despite having fifty men seemed empty. Maybe that was because those fifty men would no more find interest in shouting anymore, they walked and talked and worked the farm and then ate their meals on autopilot.

During the first few days after she left were the worst. The pack house looked like a den of aimlessly strolling ghosts. Jacob had been cooping up in Belle's room during those days, he refused to eat, never talked no matter how anyone tried. Pack members thought that their alpha was dying, they prayed and prayed for a miracle to happen that would give them back their luna which would surely revive the corpse alike alpha.

And finally, one night the miracle happened but no one had ever thought it would happen the way it did.

Damien had walked into the dark room along with Simon to check upon Jacob yet again only to shockingly find him convulsing in the bed. Before Simon could figure out what was actually happening the convulses stopped. Jacob opened his dilated eyes after that. The first words he spoke was, 

"She has shifted."

It was then that things began turning bright. 

Jacob sported a frown and paced for the rest of the night. And when the first rays of sun caressed the higher skies, Jacob commanded the entire pack to gather in the front yard. A proper decision was made, for Jacob was done living a life of a good for nothing alpha.

-- -- --

"Since the day our last alpha, my father died in this very house," Jacob pointed at the pack house behind him, his eyes though stayed focused on the many faces in front. "Since then this pack has seen nothing but a steady pace of doom approaching, can any one tell me why?"

All the pack members had frowns of sobriety on their faces. Even Rory and Gory looked serious and not fighting for a change. Because all of their wolves fused resolute inside, they sensed this was something momentary.

Jacob sighed. "It's because since then I've been nothing but a failure of an alpha to you all." His skin burned with the feeling of truth in the statement.

Damien, who was standing next to Jacob facing all the pack members, stiffened. "Alpha?" he whispered.

Gasps and hushed voices sounded from everywhere as people reacted to this confession. They were stunned and they were worried to what was happening.

Jacob lifted a hand to quieten them all. "Yes, I'm admitting it now and I'm admitting it before you all that I've proven myself as the weakest of all alphas. And it is quite hilarious that we... that I blamed it all upon the issue of lacking a single woman in the house."

"Alpha, what are you doing?" Damien asked in confusion and shock.

Jacob offered his beta a small reassuring smile. "Something that I should have done a long time ago."

"It is all my fault that you haven't trained in years, that none of you're educated enough, there is hardly any descipline in the house and our borders are patrolled loosely," the more Jacob pointed out the issues of the pack, the more the air around him felt heavy as it all became all the more real. "It's only because every wolf out there knows how devastated, fragile and ruined we're as a pack and our land so less resourceful, no other pack or rogues ever attacked us. As a result we never prepared ourselves for combat or a serious war. Bloody hell, we run that excuse of a firm in our backyard when we should have taken steps to make progress as a pack, we're wolves not farmers. Let's admit it today," Jacob inhaled a long breath, his hands curled into fists on his sides as his wolf whined within at the reality. "We'll be utterly vulnerable in the face of an attack."