Chapter 20

Jacob watched in agony as Belle thrashed in the bed, she had been like this since passing out in his arms when he was carrying her away towards her room.

Her nose bled some more and his eyes turned misty. She was suffering so much, was in pain and he couldn't do a thing about it.

He clutched her burning hot hand in his grip tighter. Belle moaned and muttered somethjing incoherent, her sweaty forehead creased with more lines.

"Simon," Jacob bellowed, not bothering to hide the extreme fear he was feeling. "Do something! Can't you see, she is hurting!"

Simon who was leaning over Belle, checking up her condition, sighed and straightened to look up at Jacob. "There's not much I can do about the pain, Jacob. She's changing," Simon didn't stop speaking even after seeing the shock on Jacob's face. "Also, she's regained her memories. Damien said she recognized Theo, didn't she?"

Jacob's heart thudded in his chest. Though his wolf was fervent knowing that his mate was changing, that her wolf was coming to the fore front, His human side - the more logical side - couldn't help but fear the consequence now.

How was Belle going to react after... Jacob shook his head, his throat constricted under the impossible stress of the situation. She was going to hate him, wasn't she? He should have already told her.

How many times, how many times - he had decided to come clean to her about his secret, the secret that was now her own too. What was she going to say after knowing that he had turned her into a wolf without her consent?  But he hoped that she would understand that it was to save her life.

A comforting hand placed on his stiff shoulder made Jacob snap his eyes open.

Simon smiled at him sadly. "Her wolf has completely awakened it seems, but it will still take a couple days for her to finally being able to take the form of a wolf."

"Why didn't any of us had an inkling that the change was coming so near. As much as I know about the transformation process she should have shown signs..."

Simon cut in, "Looks like for some time Belle's been hiding those signs that you're talking about."

"I would have told her if I had sensed the arrival this day - this soon."

"I am very doubtful that you would have told her even then," Simon said slowly, he said the obvious.

Jacob didn't know what to say. To say - he no more had that option left in his stock.

-- -- --

Kristin lifted a hand above her forehead, shading her eyes from the glaring afternoon sun. She looked up at the windmill blades across the fields. There were several more windmills at this side of the village used to make flours in the golden seasons continuously. Few more windmills were on the river side, they supplied their little village with electricity. Sometimes the amount of electricity produced wasn't enough and load shedding occurred during those times, and they had to depend on lanterns then for a while.