Chapter 18

"Are you going to kill me here, Jacob?" Belle asked playfully.

"Maybe." Came the answer with equal playfulness.

Jacob shuffled his feet standing right behind her, His intimidating tall height blocking the glaring sunlight from falling upon her. It was way too much hot today, the hottest day of this summer probably. That's why Jacob had insisted that Belle stay indoors, but the woman was stubborn and wanted to just walk around saying that she was getting bored, that was after she was firmly banned from working in the farm. The chickens, pigs and goats were getting safely groomed by the enthusiastic others who were just working only because of the temptation to feast on what recipe of new food items Belle had earlier shown to Jimmy. She was very certain about only the hard working guys were to get those extra yumminess on lunch.

Now, for some reason, besides getting bored, Belle was anxious as well, that Jacob could tell. And no, it was not just the mate bond or his wolf instincts, but Belle's jumpy behavior and tensed face screamed everything out loud.

So, naturally feeling worried Jacob had decided to stick to her wherever she went that day, and ended up bringing her to a vast clearing of the forest which ended as a steep cliff.

And now they stood on the edge of that cliff, gazing down at the greenery that laid beneath and continued till the margin of horizon.

The summer sun made the line far away, that was actually a river, shine tremendously as if the water were liquid gold.

They stood in silence, as words were not needed. The haywire wind hissing next to their air was what they listened to besides each other's fast and rhythmic heartbeats. Unconsciously, Belle had rested her back against Jacob's well defined chest. And consciously, very much blissfully, Jacob had wrapped his arms around her waist.

This was love, Jacob mused. This... sweating profusely under the sun, yet feeling the most comfortable having his woman pressed up against him like that.

Belle's dilated eyes focused back to reality feeling a cold touch slid around her neck. Looking down, she found herself freezing in surprise at the sight. The familiar ruby necklace in Jacob's mother's treasure collection that literally fell upon her in the storeroom, was now around her neck. Jacob's fingers just finished locking the chain behind her making her skin tickle with pleasure and sparks.

"What...?" She didn't know what to ask and so she whirled around to face Jacob with confusion.

But in stead of answering her silent questions, Jacob just kept on smiling down at her with a tender look.

"This is your mother's, Jacob!" Belle spoke up finally. "Why did you... how could you...?" Once again she trailed off being unable to voice out her confusions, her questions.

"I know it was my mother's," With the palm of his hand, he cupped her cheek. "And now it's yours."

"I... I cannot take it, this must be so much precious to you." Belle raised her hands to reach behind her neck and open the necklace to give it back to him.