Chapter Twenty One: Kyle's Decision

It's about 11:30 p.m. and I'm sitting behind the garage on the tailgate of an old truck. Sarah walks outside and sits down beside me.  We've already changed clothes and we're all dressed in black. 

I look at her, "You look beautiful."

She smiles, "You look good yourself.  Here, take this," she hands me an earpiece, "This has a five mile range.  Everyone on the team will have one.  We'll stay in constant communication the entire time."

I lean in and kiss her, "Thank you."  I force a smile, then return staring at the ground.

She notices, "What's wrong? I mean, I know you're worried but what is it?"

"Nothing, just thinking about tonight." 

I turn to her, "Promise me, that you'll stay outside the compound and out of sight, no matter what happens." 

"That's the plan, remember?"  She answers a little puzzled.

"Yeah I know.  I just don't want you to get hurt."  I pause and as I think about everyone here. "I don't want anyone to get hurt." 

Getting up I throw a wrench as hard as I can in frustration.

"Hey, think positive.  That's the only way I'm getting through this."

Shaking my head I try to make myself calm down.  Sitting back down beside her I take her hand, "I'm sorry I got upset.  I'm just so worried about her." 

She squeezes my fingers, "I know you are.  I'll do anything I can to help." 

I think for a few seconds, "Will you use your ability to check on her?"

"I'm supposed to do that thirty minutes before we leave," she looks at her watch. "It's not time yet."

"I know, but would you do it anyway?" 

She smiles, "For you, anything."

She closes her eyes and begins to concentrate.  After a few moments she snaps out of it and takes a deep breath.  She smiles, "She's OK, and is still in the same room.  The devices are still active in the same locations, and the guards are at the gates as usual."

I nod, "What about the roof?"

"I only saw one sniper this time.  Since we were forced to move they may think we're not ready yet.  They may not be expecting us tonight."

"That could be a big advantage.  Where's Keller?"

She closes her eyes for another moment, "He's in his office.  Top floor south side corner of the building."  When she completely snaps out of it she has a confused look on her face.

"Are you OK?" 

"Yeah, but there's one room on the top floor I can't see in." She shakes her head. "It's never happened to me before." 

"Was it close to Sheila?"

"No.  It was on the top floor close to Keller's office."

"I think you better go tell Maxwell about the room."  She nods her head and starts to walk away when I grab her and pull her to me. 

I look deeply into her blue eyes.  "I love you... Always..."

She looks at me kind of puzzled. "I love you too."  We kiss and I watch her walk away...

As Sarah closes the door, I jump up, get in the pickup and drive away.  I've been doing a lot of thinking.  I can't put my new friends, let alone Sarah in danger just for me.  It's my fault that Sheila's being held.  So it should be me and me alone putting my life on the line.  I go ahead and put the earpiece in.  Sarah said it had a five mile range.  So I at least go ahead and turn it on.

Back at the garage...

Sarah walks back outside and doesn't see Kyle.  Then she notices the truck is gone.  "Oh My God... He's gone without us."  She turns and runs back inside and finds Maxwell, "Kyle's took the truck and he's gone." Maxwell looks at his watch and it's almost midnight. 

"Everyone gear up, let's get ready to move," he shouts as everyone grabs their equipment. 

Mike walks out of his office hearing the commotion and looks at Maxwell, "What's wrong?"

"Kyle's gone on ahead of us... alone."

Mike nods, "I thought he might.  I could see it in his eyes earlier," he grabs his weapons. "Let's get moving.  He's going to need all the help he can get."

I'm driving an old Dodge truck as I turn onto Research Drive.  Driving slowly past the building, I take a good look.  As I pass the main gate I see only one guard.  I drive on past the compound turning onto another street and park in an empty gravel lot.  

"Kyle.. Kyle come in."  I hear Maxwell on my earpiece.

I press it to activate it.  "Yeah Maxwell go ahead." 

"We're on our way.  What's your location?" 

"I'm near the target."

"Hold up and stay where you are.  We'll be there in minutes."

"I'm sorry boss, but I can't.  What all of you do is way more important than just two people.  I've thought it over.  I just can't let you do this.  Tell Sarah, I'm sorry.  I hope to see all of you later at the rendezvous point." 

"Kyle, listen to me.  Stop and wait on us.  We'll be there in fifteen minutes," Sarah says.

A tear falls down my face, "I'm sorry Sarah but I'm going in.  Please forgive me...  and remember... I love you....Always." 

"Kyle don't do this to me!  Kyle..." she screams into her comm... as I wonder if I'll ever see her again...

Have you noticed what happens when Kyle says, "I Love you... Always..."