Chapter Thirty Nine: The Attack Begins

Dr Keller is on his way from the airport. He tries to call his superiors in the meeting room and all he gets is a busy signal. He curses. William must have already disabled the land lines. He tries another number. Then he remembers that the upper floors of the building have a full time cell phone jammer for security purposes.

He turns to his driver, "Step on it until we get near the building. Then act and drive normally until we're parked inside." He doesn't want to tip off any of William's people that he's been alerted.

Keller still can't believe that Kyle is there to help him. He'll go along with him until William is taken care of. Then, he'll have a surprise or two for Kyle.

"There will be two Richards that will not live to see the end of today..."

I've finally arrived at the building and have taken up my position. Activating my earpiece I check in.

"Maxwell are you there?" I ask.

"Thank God..." He thinks and hits his comm, "Yes. What is your location and condition."

I laugh, "I'm at my post, and no I haven't been harmed. Give me an update."

"Sarah can't find William, or five of his men. She also can't see inside the building. She says the entire building feels like the single room upstairs at the research facility where Sheila was being held."

He continues, "She's just found Caitlin and the other two men. They've just pulled up in an SUV and have parked on Fifth Ave. about two hundred yards away. A black SUV has just pulled up to the gates and is pulling into the underground garage."

"That's Keller," I say.

"How do you know?" Sarah asks.

"Because I've had a chat with him."

"And you didn't kill him?" She asks a little stunned.

"No," I answer.  "But I wanted to..."

Fifth ave... Caitlin's SUV...

It's twelve forty-five. Caitlin gets out of her vehicle and walks toward the target building. When she gets to the opposite street corner of it, she stops. The SUV she just got out of pulls out and turns left in front of her and continues down the street. She watches and waits for them to get parked. It's time...

Two of William's men get out of the vehicle running. They're wearing full tactical gear with FBI written on them front and back. Caitlin crouches down beside a large mailbox just as the SUV explodes...

The security personnel inside the Special Units building hear and see the explosion on their monitors and hit the alarm button. All of the exits are now being automatically sealed and secured. William and his men, who are already in the parking garage are out of the van and headed up the stairs...

Keller's in the elevator headed up to the top floor where the meeting is being held. He still hasn't been able to contact anyone there. As he hears the explosion the elevator's power is knocked out and it stops. He curses and slams his fist against the controls...

Outside the target building... Near Caitlin...

After the explosion, John looks around and spots Caitlin. He runs out and stands between her and the building. She sees him and puzzled, she stops walking.

"John, what are you doing here?"

"Caitlin...  Please, you need to stop what you're doing and come with me," John pleads...