Chapter Twenty Eight: Caitlin

After about an hour, Sarah and Beth come back inside Maxwells office. With Sarah's vision and Beth's computer skills, they've found our girl. Her name is Caitlin Bryant. She's seventeen and seems to be a runaway.  Sarah has located her basement apartment and where she works... It's in Jackson, Wyoming. Maxwell pulls up the map on his computer and finds the quickest route.

"It looks to be a 13 hour drive. Let's get a team together... We head out in an hour."

The team consists of Sarah, John, Maxwell and myself. Beth will be helping us from her office using her computer like she did when we rescued Sheila.  We've all changed clothes and are standing beside our loaded SUV as Sheila notices what's going on and walks up to us. She has a very worried look on her face.

"Where are you going?"

I take her hands, "Beth's found someone that needs our help. These people risked everything for us so I'm helping them. I believe this is what my Mom would have wanted."

Sheila puts on a fake smile. "Alright, go do what you have to do, but please come back." It's easy to see how concerned she is.

I give her a hug, "Don't worry.  I'll be back before you know it.  I promise."

Sheila turns to Sarah, "Please try to keep him under control."

Sarah smiles, "Keep Kyle, under control? Impossible."  They both laugh. "Listen, he'll be fine. This is what we do."

I hug Sheila again as Maxwell arrives at the vehicle. We jump in, then head for Wyoming.

About Caitlin...

Caitlin's seventeen and has been away from home for about three months.  Her mother left just after she turned sixteen leaving her with a Stepfather that didn't care about her. She had put up with him until one night she had come home from a party and he was drunk.

Three months ago...

"Where have you been?  You're only seventeen and It's 1:00 a.m. for God's sake," he shouts.

"I've just been out with my friends.  Why would you care?"

"Because I'm responsible for you and as long as you live under my roof you'll do as I say," he shouts at her, stands and throws his beer nearly hitting her.

"You don't care about me.  All you want is that check every month."

He staggers toward her, "I think it's time to teach you a lesson girl."  He manages to grab her and slams her into the wall.  She screams and he flies down the hall landing on his back in the floor.

He tries to raise up, "You're evil... Possessed. You're some kind of a witch!  A witch I tell you."  He tries to stand only to fall back into the floor.

She runs past him into her room... without touching it her door slams shut behind her. Crying, she gets her suitcase out, throws in some clothes and money into it that she had saved up and goes out the back door...

From her sixteenth birthday she's known she was different.  Strange things would happen every time she got upset. She realized that when her emotions were at their peak she could move things with her thoughts, but she couldn't understand it or control it.

Two weeks later...

She had been living with some friends when one night they were walking down a side street and three men jumped out in front of them and one guy... has a large knife.

He's got an evil grin on his face, "You girls are coming with us," they look at each girl from head to toe. "We have a private party to go to."

The girls are terrified and don't know what to do.  The one with the knife steps toward them.  As they all scream Caitlin throws out both hands. All three guys are thrown back several feet hitting the ground. The girls turn and run all the way back to her friends house.

They stop outside and as they catch their breath... staring at her... "Ha... how did you just do that?" Her friend asks. 

Caitlin steps forward and they all step back.  "Kelley, everyone... Please don't be afraid.  It's just that sometimes when I get upset... things happen."

"Are you some kind of a witch or something?" Carrol asks.

A tear falls as she hears her words, "I really don't know what I am."

Kelley, her best friend steps forward. "We're all grateful Caitlin," she glances at the other girls, "but we're all afraid too.  I'm sorry, but you'll have to find somewhere else to stay."

Caitlin steps forward and Kelly quickly steps back... All the girls look terrified.  She starts to cry and runs inside, packs and as she leaves they're standing outside.  Quickly, they move out of the way as she walks down the stairs. 

Kelley builds up her courage and grabs her arm, "Caitlin... I..." 

With tears flowing, she stares at her, "I thought you were my friend."  She looks at her hand and suddenly Kelley jerks it back in pain and she's thrown back landing against the trash cans.  The other girls gasp at what they've seen... "I'm sorry Kelley. I didn't mean to," she says as she turns and runs away...

Over two months later...

She's been on her own living on the streets until she finds a part time job and a basement apartment to rent cheap.

One evening on her way home from work, she notices a young girl that wasn't paying attention walking out into traffic and a car was about to hit her.   Her adrenaline spikes as she turns back to the girl and she's thrown backwards out of the street.  Several people rush over to the girl trying to help.  Caitlin turns around and hurries away...  She's been in the basement hiding since then.

Beth wasn't the only one to see the street video. Agent White with the Special Unit has also seen it. He's dispatched a team to find her as well. Her Stepfather had reported her a runaway, even though she had only a few months until she turns eighteen.  The Special Unit matched her with the video. Now, it's only a matter of time for the girl...  Either we would find her first, or they would...