Chapter Forty One: The World Knows, and Someone's Gone

Special Unit's Meeting room... An hour later...

Maxwell, Caitlin, Sarah and I are locked inside.  As far as we know, John is in the hospital and Mike and his men have escaped. Caitlin and I have been given medical care by the EMT's and they've just left the room.

I glance at everyone, "I'm sorry I got you into this. I never meant for any of you to be captured, especially you Sarah."

She squeezes my hand, "Whatever happens, I'll be with you till the end." We share a gentle kiss.

Caitlin looks up, "I'm sorry too. If it wasn't for me, none of you would be here."

I turn to her, "Caitlin, you, Sarah, Sheila and you too Maxwell are my family now. As long as I'm alive, I'll be there for you."

Caitlin gets up and gives me a hug, "Thanks big brother."

I'm stunned, "You know?"

She smiles, "I do now."

I little grin comes across my face, "Big brother, I like the sound of that." She smiles and sits back down.

After a moment her smile fades and she looks at me puzzled.  "I saw William throw you through the wall and you fell down the stairwell. I thought you were dead." 

Everyone is looking at me and I shrug my shoulders, "I was lucky. The wall I was thrown through was not made of concrete and as I fell I used my thoughts and levitated myself back over to the stairs," I shake my head. "It wasn't pretty." I smile at everyone, "First time for everything."  We all laugh a little...

We sit quietly for a moment, then I get serious, "When they come to take us," Everyone looks at me. "I'll cause a diversion. Maxwell, you should have recovered by now.  Get the girls out. Caitlin will have your back."

Sarah squeezes my hand, "What about you?" I smile and kiss her as a tear begins to fall down her cheek. She knows what I'm going to do... 

We hear the door being unlocked and I look at Sarah, "Remember, I love you....Always."

I jump up and walk toward the door getting ready for the fight. 

Sarah jumps up, "No!  Kyle don't do this..."  Maxwell pulls her back. He knows I'm right.  It's the only way anyone will escape...

Three men walk into the room. They're Keller's superiors... the ones that didn't know about what he had been doing. They're also unarmed except for the guard that steps into the room behind them and closes the door.

They sit down behind a large table, "My name is Dr Wallace. I'm the head of our department. Everyone, please sit down."

I remain standing as I stare at the guard. Dr Wallace notices, "Franklin," he turns to him. "Please wait outside."  He nods and exits the room. 

I turn back to the three men and sit down as Sarah, still crying, grabs and hugs me.  They stare at me as I slowly ease my power back down and my eyes slowly fade...

Dr Wallace begins, "Keller has told me a great deal of things, most of which the council didn't know."

He looks at Maxwell, "He's told us that your group have interfered with the capture of Paranormals on several occasions."

Maxwell speaks up, "Only the ones that were not criminals. We rescued innocent Paranormals who did nothing wrong except that their ability was found out by others."

"Yes, Dr Keller admitted that too."

After all we've been through I'm ready for this to be over, "Let's cut to the chase," Everyone looks at me. "What are you going to do with us?" The three men stare at me for a moment.