Chapter Forty: The Final Confrontation

I've entered the lobby and immediately see the guards lying on the floor. Running past them I stop when I see all the people huddled in the office. I quickly go over to the door and try to open it. It appears to be locked, then I look closer.  The lock actually looks melted...

"Can anyone open the door from the inside?  You need to evacuate this building," I shout.

A man stands up, "We're locked in here. A young blond woman did something to the lock."

"Caitlin..."

I concentrate on the lock and for some reason I can't break it.

"Stand back. I'll try to break out the glass," I shout.

"It's bulletproof glass. You can't break it." he shouts.

"Just get everyone back and take cover." They all do, but there's several that are still watching.

"It can't be helped... I've got to get these people out of here."

I face the glass and start concentrating, using my anger and as my power builds... my eyes turn black. Suddenly, I feel like my power has just doubled. 

Throwing out my hands all the glass windows blow out. The people inside look stunned and don't move...

"It's alright.  Evacuate now," I shout.

They all get up and run over the broken glass and head for the outside door. As they get there the door is blocked by the steel gate. The power coming back on must have triggered it after I came in.

I turn and run toward them.  "Everyone get back..."

They look terrified of me as they clear a path. As they stare I look at the steel door and It violently blows outward. They all scream as it happens...

I look at them, "Now go, get out of here."

They begin filing out the door. As I turn to run, the man I was talking to through the glass catches my arm.

He stares at me, "I don't know how you just did all of this, but thank you..."

I pat him on the shoulder, "You're welcome. Now get everyone out, quickly." I turn and head for the stairwell as my eyes fade...

Maxwell and Mike are now at the front entrance as the metal door goes flying across the road and it's going to hit some firefighters trying to put out the car fire. Maxwell concentrates, using everything he has to stop the door just before it hits them.

One of the firefighters sees what happening and stares at the door hovering... Then it drops to the ground. He's utterly astonished...

Out of the corner of his eye, he sees Maxwell dropping his hand as the door drops. He watches as Maxwell tries to catch his breath and wipes the blood from his nose.

He nods his head toward Maxwell in a gesture of thanks. Maxwell smiles, and nods back.

Maxwell turns to Mike, "Go to the back of the building and keep watch.  Let me know if the Special Unit brings in reinforcements."

"I will Maxwell.  Just keep your head down."  He nods and takes off running.

Maxwell's waiting on the entrance to be clear of people when Sarah arrives.

"I thought you were supposed to be a half mile from here," he asks.

"You need me to help evacuate the rest of these innocent people," she says as she catches her breath.