Chapter Twenty Nine: First Contact

Our team arrives in Jackson, Wyoming about nine in the morning.  John parks just down the street from the diner where she works and we wait.  About 10:00 we see her walk inside.  It's decided that Sara and I will go in and make contact. 

Going inside we sit down at a booth.  We're the first customers, which is a good thing. 

Caitlin comes over.  "OK, what will you have?" 

"We'll have two cokes please, "Sarah says. She goes and gets them and sets them down. 

I smile at her, "I'm sorry to bother you, but we're from out of town.  Before we order could you possibly help us out with some directions?" 

She sits down beside Sarah. "Where do you need to go?"

I can't really think of a good way to get into this so...

"Caitlin, have you ever felt different from everyone else? When you get upset, does anything strange happen?" 

She looks stunned at what I have asked and stares at me.  I notice the pen she has in her pocket and with my thoughts levitate it out and twirl it as it's suspended in the air between us.

"You're not the only one with gifts, "I say.

She stares at the pen, then looks at Sarah, then back to me as I let it drop onto the table.  She stares at it for a moment and as a tear falls she looks at me. 

"I thought I was the only one, that there was something terribly wrong with me." 

Sarah gently takes her hand, "There's nothing wrong with you.  You're simply, special and as you've just seen you're certainly not alone."

"We're here to offer you a safe place to live with others like yourself where you can learn to control your gift."  Caitlin stares at me for a moment as another tear falls from her eyes. Flashes from her past go through her mind and she's overwhelmed by her past and our conversation.

She stands up quickly, "This is too much. I'm too dangerous around other people. I just want to be left alone." As she says this, the glass in the picture above our table breaks. Is startles her and she and runs out of the back door...

Sarah and I get up and rush back to the SUV.  "Well, how did it go?"  Maxwell asks.

I glance at Sarah, "I think I may have scared her to death. She ran out the back door."

He smiles, "Don't worry, it happens."

Maxwell looks at Sarah and she nods, closes her eyes and begins to concentrate.  As her vision clears, she sees Caitlin running back toward her apartment. "She's headed home," she says staying in her vision. John starts the SUV and we head out.   It's only five minutes away. 

As we drive Sarah watches as Caitlin goes inside and starts to pack quickly.  Suddenly, her door flies open and three agents rush inside.  I hear Sarah gasp, "Agents... She's being attacked." John and I exchange a glance. We know we're in for a fight.

Sarah continues to watch the fight unfold... Caitlin screams as one agent is thrown against the wall. Another gets to her and injects a needle into her shoulder.  Out of instinct she throws him across the room as well.  The drug seems to take effect quickly and she passes out.

Sarah snaps out of it and tells us what's happening as we pull up.  John and I jump out and run in opposite directions around her apartment building to the back where her door is.  As we turn the corner, we see the three men carrying Caitlin out of the apartment toward their van.

They see us and two of the men let go of her and draw their guns.  With my thoughts I block their shots as they fire.  John throws them backwards through a wooden fence.  We turn our attention back to the third man.  The agent drops Caitlin and begins to draw his weapon.

John uses his ability to catch her as I use my thoughts and throw the agent up and over the van out of sight. Maxwell slides to a stop in our SUV at the back of the building.  Sarah jumps out and helps us get Caitlin inside. We get in and Maxwell speeds away.

As we are driving out of town, Maxwell asks Sarah, "How is she?" 

"They've drugged her, but she's breathing OK." 

Maxwell nods, "Good job everyone." He looks at me in the mirror.

"Well, how did it feel to help someone?"

I smile, "It felt good."

John turns to me, "Kyle, that was so cool the way you threw that agent into the dumpster."

"You mean there was a dumpster there?" I ask.

Maxwell looks at me in the mirror again, laughs and shakes his head.

Sarah looks at me, smiles.  John laughs as well...

"By the way, that was a nice display of your power.  You've gotten stronger." 

John nods, "I think so too.  Thanks to you and Maxwell I believe I am." 

Patting him on the shoulder I start to sit back in my seat, when Maxwell hits the brakes hard bringing us to a sliding stop. Looking out of the front windshield I see a man standing in the middle of the road...

"Oh... My... God... It's him..."

What do you think of Caitlin... Is this William's return from the dead...

Let me know what you think...