Chapter Twenty Four: It Can't Be

As we stand facing each other Dr Keller turns to me, "Goodbye Kyle.  I look forward to never seeing you again." He turns and walks around the corner of the building.

I turn my attention back to the man in front of me and think about his sister... that I killed. 

"Scott, please don't do this," I plead.

He slings one arm out and a stream of flames leap toward me. With my thoughts I form a wall to try and block it.  The flames hit hard and I'm knocked backwards landing on the concrete and broken glass.

Scott stops momentarily as I slowly stagger to my feet... trying to shake it off. 

"He's definitely more powerful than Tracey." 

I look down at my hands and arms. Pieces of broken glass are stuck in my skin... blood drips from my cuts...

I notice that some of the agents that were knocked out are now on fire. I wave my hand over the men and put out the flames.

Looking back toward Scott I see he's walking slowly toward me. Using my anger I begin concentrating, building my power. I focus my energy and throw out both hands knocking him back twenty feet into the air. He lands hard rolling several feet.

Lying on his back, he raises his head and looks at me.  I watch him as he holds his legs straight and rises to his feet... 

"That's different..."

He starts walking toward me again and throws both hands out and two streams of fire shoot toward me. With my thoughts I form a wall in a "V" deflecting both flames to each side of me. The streams of fire shoot inside of the building and it burst into flames.

He stops for a few seconds, screams and begins to run right at me. As he gets close to me I levitate him into the air, and using his forward momentum, I throw him over my head toward the building. As I do this he throws flames down at me. I dive out of the way and watch him tumble into the inferno of the burning building.

Quickly scrambling back to my feet, I look inside and can't believe what I see.  Scott is standing in the middle of the burning room... and his whole body is now on fire.

Closing my eyes I hold on to my emotions, and concentrate with everything I have. Suddenly energy like I've never felt before fills my mind...

As I open my eyes... and they've turned black as night...

I feel different somehow.  The power flowing through my veins is almost overwhelming. 

Scott shoots out another stream of flames.  Quickly, I form a wall with my thoughts and the flames stop two feet in front of me. As this is happening, I hold my hand out toward the building and focus my power. 

My nose begins to bleed as the building starts to shake violently. Scott screams and throws a second stream of fire at me. It hits hard and I can feel the heat build up quickly.

"This is it," I think as I throw everything I have left at the foundation. The building continues to shake violently.  The heat from the flames is incredible. As I feel my body start to tremble, there's a loud explosion...

Scott screams in terror, as he realizes what's happening... the building pancakes straight down. Falling to my knees I'm exhausted as the smoke and dust overwhelms me...

The Front Gate...

Maxwell, Sarah and Mike have taken out the guards. They break through the fence just in time to see Scott throw two flames at me.

"No!" Sarah cries as I throw all I have left into the building and it falls. Dust and smoke fills the air and they can't see me anymore. Sarah tries to run toward me and Mike stops her. Maxwell walks into the cloud of dust toward where he saw me fall...

A minute later, Maxwell appears helping me out of the rubble. Sarah and Mike rush over to us and help carry me through the gate and into the SUV. As we speed away the emergency responders turn onto Research Dr.

Sarah is sitting up as I lie in the back seat with my head in her lap.  She turns on a interior light and looks down at me.  She sees my eyes and it startles her. I can't help but smile. 

"Did Sheila make it?"  I ask.

"She's safe and we'll meet her at the rendezvous point," Maxwell says. Relieved, I look up at Sarah.  She's looking down at me with tears running down her face.

As I lay there she uses a towel to try and clean the dirt off my face.

"My head hurts," I say.

She laughs as she wipes away her tears.

"I thought I lost you again."

I smile, "Never..."