Ch.8: Moving on

Chapter 8:

It has been two years since Sherlock's death. I left London shortly after, unable to stay with the memory of him gone.

I still remember the funeral as though it were only yesterday.

~

John and I had have been staying at a hotel since... Anyway, we haven't talked much, nor have we had any contact with Mrs. Hudson. We will be seeing her at the funeral.

Today we will be putting our friend in the ground, something I have become accustomed to over the years, but it never gets easier.

Dressed in my nicest black dress, I link arms with John and we silently make our way to the cemetery.

Meeting up with Mrs. Hudson, we stand next to Sherlock's grave and pay our respects.

Gazing at the beautiful black marble headstone, I block out Mrs. Hudson's prattling.

'Why would you do this Sherlock? I know it was to save us, but there had to be another way. I should have saved you. If only I would have not been sidetracked-' I squeeze my eyes shut and clench my hands,'If only I would have fed earlier. I would have been strong enough to save you in time.'

John clears his throat,"Could you two give me a minute alone?"

I open my eyes and look at my sad friend. I silently nod and pull Mrs. Hudson down the walkway a bit to let John have his privacy. I am still in earshot though, and I cannot resist listening in.

I tune out the landlady once again and focus on my friend.

He is quiet a moment before starting to awkwardly talk,"...Um. Hm. You..." he bites his lip,"You told me once that you weren't a hero," he pauses again,"...There were times that I didn't even think you were human. But let me tell you this, you were the best man and the most human-" his voice starts to crack,"... human being that I have ever known, and no one will ever convince me that you told me a lie. And so..." he tries to blink away tears,"There." He starts to walk back toward us but pauses and turns around again. Walking to the headstone, he hesitatingly places his hand on the top of it,"I was so alone and I owe you so much. Please, there's just one more thing. One more thing. One more miracle, Sherlock, for me. Don't be..." he looks down and bites his lip,"Dead. Would you do that, just for me? Just stop it, stop this..." he sighs and covers his face, wiping his tears away.

I look down, tears streaming down my face. 'Goodbye, Sherlock.'

~

I stayed with John for awhile but he eventually found a nice girl so he didn't need me.

I returned to traveling the world, and along the way I ran into someone I hadn't seen in decades.

~

I sat atop a building, gazing up at the moon.

Light footsteps behind me cause me to tense up. Another vampire? No...I know this scent.

My eyes widen. I slowly stand, hearing the footsteps come closer.

"Sara..." I feel their breath upon the back of my neck,"It has been a long time."

I gulp,"That it has...Tom."

~

Tom and I had retreated back to my flat to talk in peace.

So now we sit silently in the living room for what seems like an eternity.

"...You look well," he tells me.

Tom and I met about two and a half decades ago. He was a human and we had fallen in love with each other. He accepted me as a vampire and loved me for who I was. But then he got into an accident and I had to turn him into a vampire to save his life. We lived happily for over fifteen years, but he never did get accustomed to being a vampire. I felt guilty that I had made him into such a creature. So one day I couldn't handle it anymore, and I left. That was over ten years ago and I haven't seen him since.