Ch.48: The mysterious plaster bust

Chapter 48:

Sara's POV:

"As ever, Watson, you see but do not observe. To you, the world remains an impenetrable mystery, whereas, to me, it is an open book. Hard logic versus romantic whimsy - that is your choice. You fail to connect actions to their consequences," Sherlock drones on,"Now, for the last time, if you want to keep the rattle, do not throw the rattle." He hands the rattle back to little Rosie Watson who is sitting in a baby chair perched on top of John's chair.

Rosie giggles and then throws the rattle in Sherlock's face. I smile from the kitchen as I pour myself a cup of coffee. Across the room, Mary is lying on the sofa fast asleep with one foot up on John's lap as he sits at the other end also asleep.

The poor couple has had some hellish nights over the past few weeks. The baby is a night owl and refuses to let them get any sleep at night. They often come here so they can get a few hours of sleep during the day. They were hesitant at first to leave their child in the hands of two vampires, one also being a high functioning sociopath, but they soon got over it once they saw us interact with the baby.

Sherlock is surprisingly good with Rosie. They have already created a bond, actually he is the only person who can get her to fall asleep in his arms. I think his deep voice lulls her to sleep. It is a sight to see and it warms my heart every time. Rosie has also taking a liking to me. She has yet to puke, poop, or pee on me so I take that as a good sign.

...Being with her is bittersweet though. I have had decades to come to terms with being infertile, but being this close to a child everyday has really made me yearn for one of my own. Seeing how good of a father Sherlock could be doesn't help either. But it won't ever happen, so for the time being I will let Rosie fill the void and take out my motherly instincts on her.

I am pulled from my reverie by the feeling of arms wrapping around my waist.

"Your turn to get hit in the face," Sherlock grumbles as he rests his chin on my shoulder.

I laugh,"You know she didn't mean it."

"I saw intent in her eyes. She knew exactly what she was doing."

I roll my eyes,"She loves you Sherlock." I detach his arms from me and walk into the living room. Sitting in Sherlock's chair, I sip from my cup. "Any cases?"

"Greg says he's got one," Sherlock responds as he walks over and lifts me from the chair so he can sit. He lowers me onto his lap and leans back, closing his eyes,"He's coming over tomorrow."

I nod and take a glance at Rosie. She smiling and staring off in baby land.

At least she is usually quiet when Sherlock and I look after her.

"what is Tom up to?" I ask.

"Don't know, don't care," he responds without opening his eyes.

I send him a glare,"I thought you were bonding with him."

He opens his eyes and mildly glares back at me,"Just because we went on one case together doesn't mean we 'bonded'. If anything it has made me more annoyed of him because of his constant presence here."

"He hasn't been here in weeks." My god he is such a drama queen.

He rolls his eyes and mumbles,"Hasn't that been a miracle."

I take another sip from my coffee before hopping off his lap,"You will thank his presence one day."

~

The next day:

Sherlock is currently sitting in his chair with his hands steepled. I am perched on the arm of the chair and Greg is standing by the door. We are just waiting on John now.