Ch.47: Let's go home

Chapter 47:

Sherlock's POV:

I look at the door once more. "Let's not waste time then."

As we get closer to the door I start to smell it too. The overpowering smell of rotting flesh hangs the air like a cloud.

I open the door and slowly enter. It's dark and the smell is even worse. I can hear the buzzing of flies and the dripping of what I can only guess is blood.

"I found a light-switch," my brother comments before the lights start to flicker on.

Bodies. Dozens of bodies fill the room.

"...My god," Tom gasps in horror.

The floor in front of us drops off to a pit where dozens of dead bodies lay. Most of them are weeks old or longer, but I spot a few more recent bodies, one of them I recognize as our client's son.

"So this is what happened to the missing workers," I murmur.

I hear the sound of a door opening. "Hey! You can't be in here!" Someone shouts from behind us.

I quickly turn and use my speed to grab the man and pin him against the wall. "What happened to these people?!" I snarl.

Tom pulls me off of him and grips my shoulders. "Calm down," he tells me,"Your eyes are red. Don't let your bloodlust control you."

I grit my teeth but take his advice and try to calm down. I close my eyes and take a deep breath, once I'm calm I look at my brother and nod for him to let me go. He releases me and turns to the man who is on the ground, dazed from the force I slammed him against the wall with.

Tom picks him up and pins him to the wall, but much more gently than I had. "Tell us everything or I will let him kill you," he threatens the human.

The man gulps and stares at us with terrified eyes. "I-I am just a scientist. I had no part in this!" he stutters.

"You knew people were being killed, you are every bit responsible as the others," I hiss,"Now what happened here?"

"...We have been testing a new drug that will hopefully be the cure to cancer. I don't know where they got the test subjects, they just brought them to us to experiment on. Once they were injected with the cancerous cells, we would give them our serum and studied the growth of cells. ....So far none of the patients have survived."

"I thought this was a weapons facility," Tom says in confusion.

The scientist shakes his head,"That was just a cover. We are actually a cancer research facility. The competition of this research is very high, and we also have many enemies. Those who do not want a cure for cancer because of the money they would lose from it."

Petty humans. They would rather people die then lose some of their precious money.

I turn to my brother,"We found what we needed. We can leave now."

He nods and drops the man.

"W-wait!" The man shouts as we start to walk back down the hallway. "You can't shut us down! There are millions of people counting on our research-"

"From what I could see, you have not gotten any closer to finding a cure. All you achieved was killing dozens of innocent workers who thought they were working for a weapons manufacturing company," I flip.

"...You are not the first to threaten us."

I pause at his remark and turn to see him standing with a dark smile on his face. He slowly raises his arm from behind his back, a phone in his hand.