Ch. 45: Godparent?

Chapter 45:

Sara's POV:

After a very traumatic hour in John's car we eventually got to a hospital where both Mary and the baby were tended to. Mary had a beautiful baby girl and they were soon cleared to go home.

Two weeks have passed since that horrific day and we are currently at the Watson's house with Molly and Mrs.Hudson to see the baby.

Mary and John are sitting on the sofa, Mary cradling their new daughter as Mrs.Hudson takes pictures of them. Helium balloons are floating on strings behind the sofa and there are gift bags and flowers on the coffee table in front of the family. Molly and I are drinking from glasses of champagne and Mrs Hudson is taking another photograph with her camera.

"Aww," Mrs.Hudson coos,"She's so beautiful."

"What about a name?" Molly asks them.

"Catherine," John says with a smile.

Mary frowns at him,"Uh, yeah, we've gone off that."

"Have we?"

"Well, you know what I think," Sherlock cuts in. He is standing behind me, engrossed with his phone.

"It's not a girl's name!" Both John and Mary say together.

Sherlock smiles, eyes still fixed on his phone.

"Sara, Molly, Mrs. Hudson," John says,"We would love you to be godparents."

Molly laughs in delight,"Oh!"

My eyes widen,"Really?" I ask, not at all expecting this.

Mrs.Hudson clasps her hands together,"So lovely!"

John gets up and walks to my boyfriend so I take his seat on the sofa next to Mary.

Sherlock is still texting and hasn't noticed John standing next to him. John clears his throat,"And uh, you too."

"You too what?" my boyfriend asks while still texting.

"Godfather. We'd like you to be godfather."

Still texting, he responses,"God is a ludicrous fiction dreamt up by inadequates who abnegate all responsibility to an invisible magic friend."

"Sherlock!" I growl.

He pauses and looks up from his phone for a split second, giving me a questioning frown.

John sighs,"Yeah, but there'll be cake. Will you do it?"

Sherlock glances at him briefly then looks back to his phone,"I'll get back to you."

I roll my eyes and give John a helpless shrug. He just smiles and shakes his head.

My ears suddenly perk up at the sound of footsteps outside the house. I turn to Mary,"Are you expecting anyone else?"

"Yes, actually-"

The doorbell rings.

John smiles and walks to the door to open it. "Hey, glad you could make it," he says joyfully to the person.

I recognize this scent. Sherlock isn't going to be happy.

John walks back into the living room and Tom is trailing behind him.

Sherlock instantly snaps his attention from his phone once Tom's scent hits him. "What is he doing here?" he questions as he glares at his brother.

John quickly steps in-between them,"Tom is my friend and I wanted him to meet my daughter. We can all act like civil adults can't we, Sherlock?"

I stand and walk to my boyfriend, gripping his arm tightly. "Of course we can," I tell John with a smile.