Ch. 29: You've got to be kidding me

Chapter 29:

3rd person POV:

It is Christmas day in the Holmes household. Sitting in the kitchen of the elder Holmes's small cottage, Mycroft wearily rubs his brow. "How can it only be two o'clock? I'm in agony," he moans in despair.

"It is not all that bad," Sara says as she enters the room,"Get into the spirit of things, Mycroft."

He rolls his eyes,"And why are you in such an uplifting attitude?" he questions, leaning back in his chair,"You were never one to celebrate holidays other than halloween."

Sara moves to sit next to Sherlock who is currently reading a newspaper. She shrugs,"I've never had a family to celebrate it with. It is nice to do such a... normal thing."

"Oh!" Mrs. Holmes exclaims and looks at her with a sad expression,"No family to celebrate with?"

Sara shakes her head,"Afraid not."

"Well, you have Sherlock and us now. Visit Tim and I whenever you like, sweetie," she smiles softly then walks to the table the others are sitting at and points down to a silver-grey laptop on the table, half-obscured by a chopping board on top of it which has several whole peeled potatoes and the peelings on it. "Mikey, is this your laptop?" she asks.

Mycroft sighs,"On which depends the security of the free world, yes," he smiles rather sarcastically up at her,"And you've got potatoes on it."

Sherlock glances over towards them.

"Well, you shouldn't leave it lying around if it's so important," Mrs. Holmes scoffs and picks up the chopping board.

"Why are we doing this? We never do this," Mycroft questions, gesturing at the scene.

His mother sighs exasperatedly,"We are here because Sherlock is home from hospital and we are all very happy."

Mycroft looks up at her with an extremely insincere smile,"Am I happy too? I haven't checked."

Sara giggles softly.

"Behave, Mike," Mrs. Holmes tells him as she busies around the kitchen.

"'Mycroft' is the name you gave me, if you could possibly struggle all the way to the end," he says a little irritated.

"Behave, Mike," Sara copies with a teasing smile.

He sends her a glare.

"Oh, and we are celebrating Sherlock having his first girlfriend!" their mother squeals. She holds her hand over her chest,"I was afraid it would never happen. I may get grandchildren!"

Sherlock lowers his newspaper and glares at his mother,"Please contain yourself. You don't want to scare Sara off, do you?"

Sara meanwhile just giggles and waves her hands dismissively,"It's alright, Sherlock," she leans in close to him and whispers teasingly,"A couple little curly haired brainiacs running around might not be so bad."

Sherlock freezes, looking extremely uncomfortable. Mycroft rolls his eyes at his brother,"She is joking, Sherlock."

The sociopath clears his throat and raises his newspaper and starts to read again.

Sara sends a smirk to Mycroft then takes a sip from her glass of blood.

While a homeless friend of Sherlock walks into the room and hands Mrs.Holmes a glass of punch, Sara gazes out the window and her thoughts start to wander.

'I wish Tom could be here,' she thinks sadly to herself,'But I am afraid his parents would have a heart attack if they saw him alive after so many years. It is better that they not know. They have already grieved and gotten on with their lives, no need to bring up past pain.' She lets out a sigh and glances to Sherlock. He is looking at his watch, something Sara has witnessed him do multiple times today. 'He is acting strange. What is he hiding?' she wonders.