Ch.68: Make your choice

Chapter 68:

Sherlock's POV:

I enter a new room with the others right behind me. This room is even smaller than the last. No windows, one of the walls is a large screen, and there is a small, wooden, coffin on a stand in the middle of the room. The coffin has no lid and is empty.

Eurus's voice appears over the speakers. 'Coffin. Problem: someone is about to die. It will be – as I understand it – a tragedy.'

I walk around the coffin, looking it over. "I presume, this will be their coffin."

'Whose coffin, Sherlock?' She teases,'This is your trial. Please, start your deductions. I will apply some context in a moment.'

I grip my handgun tighter and let out a long breath. "It's small. I'd say this coffin is intended for someone of about five foot four. Makes it more likely to be a woman."

"Not a child?" John asks.

"A child's coffin would be more expensive," Tom says,"This is in the lower price range. This is a practical and informed choice. Balance of probability suggests that this is for an unmarried woman distant from her close relatives. That much is suggested by the economy of choice."

I nod,"Acquainted with the process of death but unsentimental about the necessity of disposal. Also, the lining of the coffin-"

"Yes, very good," Mycroft interrupts. "Or we could just look at the name on the lid."

I look over and see him with the lid of the coffin that was leaning against the far wall. On the backside of the lid it says 'I LOVE YOU'.

My eyes widen.

Tom gulps,"Sara."

'Not quite,' Eurus cuts in.

I feel my heartbeat settle down a bit.

Mycroft frowns,"Who then? There aren't many who love Sherlock."

John's eyes widen a little. "Molly."

Of course.

"Molly Hooper."

'She's perfectly safe, for the moment,' Eurus tell us. The screen then shows camera footage of the interior of a home. Molly stands in her kitchen, preparing a meal for herself. In the top right-hand corner a countdown clock appears, currently fixed at 3 minutes. 'Her flat is rigged to explode in approximately three minutes... unless I hear the release code from her lips. I'm calling her on your phone, Sherlock. Make her say it.'

I slowly walk toward the screen, feeling dread filling my veins.

John looks confused,"Say what?"

I close my eyes and lower my head.

'Obvious, surely?' My sister comments. 'Oh, one important restriction: you're not allowed to mention in any way at all that her life is in danger. If you do, I will end this session and her life. Are we clear?'

I nod and open my eyes.

The sound of a phone ringing is heard. On the screen, Molly sees her phone lighting up from a call... but she ignores it and continues chopping vegetables.

I frown,"What's she doing?"

"She's making stew of some kind,' Mycroft smartly answers.

I grit my teeth,"Yes, but why isn't she answering her phone?"

"You never answer your phone," John notes.

I sigh frustratedly,"Yes, but it's me calling."