Ch.51: Save the Queen

Chapter 51:

Sara's POV:

We woke up hours later to find Mary gone and the flash drive missing as well. Sherlock and I decided to visit Mycroft to see if he knew anything about Mary's past.

~

"Agra?" Mycroft questions. We are currently sitting in his office.

"AGRA is an acronym," Sherlock tells him.

The elder brother smiles,"Oh, good. I love an acronym. All the best secret societies have them."

"Team of agents, the best," Sherlock narrows his eyes,"But you know all that."

"Of course I do," Mycroft brags,"Go on."

"One of them, Ajay, is looking for Mary, also one of the team."

"Indeed? Well, that's news to me."

I raise an eyebrow surprised,"Is it?"

Mycroft gives me a sarcastic smile.

"He's already killed looking for that memory stick," Sherlock tells him,"AGRA always worked for the highest bidder. I thought that might include you."

His brother frowns,"Me?"

"Well, I mean the British government or whatever government you're currently propping up."

Mycroft sits back and clasps his hands together on his desk,"AGRA were very reliable; then came the Tbilisi incident. They were sent in to free the hostages but it all went horribly wrong. And that was that. We stopped using freelancers."

"Your initiative?" I ask.

He nods,"My initiative. Freelancers are too woolly; too messy. I don't like loose ends – not on my watch."

Sherlock leans forward and pulls a notepad across the desk towards himself. "There was something else; a detail, a code word," he murmurs as he writes "AMMO" on the notepad, then turns it round to face his brother.

Mycroft frowns at the notepad,"AMMO?"

"It's all we've got."

"Little enough."

"Could you do some digging, as a favor?"

Mycroft smirks,"You don't have many favors left."

"Then do it as a favor for me," I interject with a smirk,"You owe me enough of them."

Mycroft hums then glances at his brother,"And if you can find who's after her and neutralise them, what then? You think you can go on saving her forever?"

"Of course," Sherlock answers nonchalantly. "I made a promise, a vow."

Mycroft lets out a sigh,"All right. I'll see what I can do." He leans forward,"But remember this, brother mine: agents like Mary tend not to reach retirement age. They get retired in a pretty permanent sort of way."

Sherlock then says with fierce determination,"Not on my watch." He then turns and leaves the room.

I start to follow but Mycroft stops me. "Sara? A word, please."

I raise an eyebrow,"Yes?"

"I have a mission for you."

I groan,"Not now, Mycroft. I can't just leave-"

"Yes, you can. The jobs I give you cannot be postponed, you know this," he tells me in all seriousness,"I know Mary is your friend, but Sherlock and John can handle things. You have more important matters to attend to."