Ch.40: Betrayal?

Chapter 40:

Sara's POV:

I am currently sitting across from Mycroft in his office. I came not long after my fight with Sherlock. I wanted to talk and Mycroft is the person who knows most about Sherlock.

"Sherlock finds it hard to trust people, as I am sure you already know. He is the same way with love," Mycroft says and shakes his head with disapproval,"He continues to ignore me when I tell him that love is a weakness."

"He claims not to love others...well he did."

He nods,"He did, but that was a lie even before you came into the picture. He loves many if he has fully gained their trust, though he may not even know it. Our parents, Mrs.Hudson, John, even Greg Lestrade and Molly Hooper. He loves and trusts them all, but it did not happen overnight. You, I'm afraid, are the last to the Sherlock party. You also are in a different predicament than the others."

I cross my arms,"How so?"

"This isn't family love, this is a whole new area for my brother. Trust needed for a relationship like yours will take a very long time to grow for Sherlock. He pushes everyone away until they prove that they will stay. He is using Tom as an excuse, pushing you away to protect himself from hurt."

"How do I prove it to him then?"

He shrugs,"Like I said, time," he smiles lazily,"You both have more than enough of it now."

I roll my eyes,"Don't start."

"Start what?"

"You reprimanding me on how bad of an idea it was to turn Sherlock into a vampire. I didn't have a choice!"

"There is always a choice-"

"Would you rather have had him die?"

He is quiet a moment.

My eyes widen.

"...You know how much I risk to keep him safe-" he says weakly.

"But you think this was a mistake."

He nods silently.

I grit my teeth and clench my hands into fists,"You would let your brother die, because the other option would be inconvenient for you? That is it, am I right?"

He looks down at his hands and sighs,"I am just thinking of the wellbeing of everyone. Sherlock was dangerous before, now he has more power than any human. If he were to snap... the consequences would be devastating."

"And what about me?" I question angrily,"You know my past, yet you keep me alive, depend on me even."

"You are different-"

"Am I? Because I can remember how it felt. The rush of killing someone in cold blood, the taste of their fresh blood. There is not a day where I don't think about returning to that life!"

Mycroft stares at me in silence. His eyes showing traces of fear.

"And why don't you?" He then questions, an expressionless mask returning to his face,"If you miss it so much, then let that side of yourself free."

I clench my hands into fists and stare at my lap,"...I do miss it, but the pain I cause everyone out weighs what good I feel. I do not want to hurt those that I have come to love...not again."

He nods,"That is precisely why I let you walk freely. You have learned the repercussions of the damage you have caused, Sherlock has not. He would end up having to go through all that you have, and who is to say he would learn the errors of his way in the end. And then there is Thomas, but we both know that he is no issue."