Ch.46: A brotherly escapade

Chapter 46:

Sherlock's POV:

"No! I refuse to be partnered with him." I shout.

My girlfriend sighs,"You need him to get you into the building. You are still not in control of your abilities, John is on baby duty, and I have work with Mycroft. He is the only one that can accompany you, and frankly he was the only to volunteer."

I cross my arms stubbornly.

Sara shrugs,"Fine, then your off the case. Have fun with that nagging at you."

"Just hold on a minute," Tom cuts in. He turns to me,"It's one case. Surely you can stand to be around me for a day or two. I know I'm not your favorite person at the moment, but I am trying to fix this. It pains me to see Sara in your arms, but you make her happy, and I want my brother back." He gazes at me with pleading eyes,"Just... give me a chance, Sherlock."

No matter what he says I can still see the burning desire he has for Sara, ...but I also see how hard he is trying to mend our bond.

For months I avoided and pretended to overlook his peaceful gestures. I finally got Mycroft to send him on a mission to get him off my back. His persistence is annoyingly unwavering.

I narrow my eyes at him."One day."

A smile breaks out on his face,"Excellent! I will meet you here early tomorrow morning." Then he is gone in a flash.

I sigh in relief and walk to my chair. Plopping myself down, I steeple my hands under my chin and prepare myself for tomorrow.

Hands weaving through my thick curls break my concentration, though they are not unwanted.

"It will be fine," Sara murmurs above me.

I grunt but say nothing.

"Just try to get along. You two were close when you were younger, wouldn't you like to have that bond once again?"

"No."

She sighs,"Well think of it this way, Tom is just as smart as you and Mycroft. While you may not understand normal people, you can bond with Tom over your intellect."

"He may be smart, but he is not like us."

"Because he is a nice person?"

I refuse to answer. Being 'nice' is a false pretense in which people do to fit in. I could careless if someone 'liked' me. That is where Tom differs from Mycroft and I. Even though Mycroft is better in social situations than me, he still has a burning hatred for 'normal' people. Tom is the complete opposite and I hate him for it.

...Growing up he was always the favorite child. He was smart, handsome, heart of gold(as so many called it), and had many friends. In any sense he was perfect. Mycroft adapted a facade to fit in as well, wheres I could not and chose not to.

I looked up to Tom, but I also resented him. When he 'died' my parents took more interest in me, but it was unwanted. They still wished to have their perfect child back, even tried to mold me into his image. Eventually they had to move on and let go of their fantasy that I would be anything like him. His name is rarely mentioned by my parents now, they find it too heartbreaking to bring up his memory.

I thought I was rid of him decades ago, only to now find out that he has been living life as a bloody vampire! Waltzing back into my life and worming his way into the hearts of my friends. Tom has always gotten whatever he's wanted, but not this time. Sara is mine!

'I am doing this for Sara.' I remind myself.

I sigh internally,'When did I become so selfless? It was so much easier when I could just be an arsehole.'