Seven

A/N: Comment & Vote

They stopped at a department store to get paint, decorations, and various other items for the new room.

The day had been packed full of unexpected expenses and while money was no real objection at this point thanks to the ancient vampire's frugality in his early hundreds of years, he was still keeping track.

They passed by a display of collars and Tanner pointed out a thin pink on encrusted with fake shimmering gems. Luca cooed at it and reached for it. Tanner removed it from the rack and let his boy hold it. "Pretty," Luca commented. "Luca try on?"

"Of course."

Luca shifted into his puppy form, a few customers sniffing in distaste at his lack of protective wearing. Tanner ignored him, sliding the collar on and buckling it. He looked precious in it but Luca little hind leg came up to scratch at it. Clucking his tongue Tanner removed it and Luca looked up at him, little pink tongue spilling out his mouth. His tiny tail beat against the cart grate as Tanner looked for another similar collar.

He turned the display around twice, none of the were accessories fetching his fancy like the pink one had. He felt the inside and found it to be rough--no wonder Luca had rejected it so promptly! He pushed the cart around, grabbing a few more items before checking out. As he was getting rung up the cashier cleared her throats and gestured to a little laminated sign.

Please leash all weres on the store property.
Thank you,
Management

"We're about to leave. He's no trouble either." Tanner explained.

Luca was sitting in the front carriage looking around happily. The woman sighed. "Alright. But next time it's not an option. Besides I hear liability suits can be awfully expensive due to were-bites."

"Luca doesn't bite." His spoke through gritted teeth.

Hearing this Luca bared his little teeth for effect, snapping at the air. A sharp click ran through the store and the woman gave him a dirty look. He smiled guiltily. "He doesn't quite understand." He passed her his card and they left in a bit of a hurry.

He thought about scolding him for his behavior but it was hard--discrimination against Beasts was well known and wise spread. It was simply expected that we're owners practiced safety when having such volatile creatures among others. He buckled Luca in and struggled to pack in the new buys.

He came to realization he simply could not make anymore stops without going home and unloading first. Besides it was rapidly becoming evening and his little boy must have been tired of the car and stores.

While he hadn't found a good collar and leash he figured he had one at least and would make sure to get a better one tomorrow after work. "Ready to go home pumpkin?"

"Luca ready!" His boy cheered.

***

Bradley Manor had stood in the same spot for forty decades.

Designed and built in the Victorian era it's design was simply beautiful. And thanks to Tanner's constant and careful upkeep, it looked just as good as the year it was built. It was built in a shadowy location, from a time when Vampires hid and lived in the shadow of nightfall. Back when the humans held the daylight.

Now however, times had changed. Those days were history. Not exactly pleasant but certainly not unpleasant. Tanner recalled it all with a bitter sweet recollection. Luca couldn't see over the door and asked his Daddy excitedly if they were home.

Luca had only known the Breeding Facility where he spent seven years with his Mama and four brothers, and the Pet Shop where he stayed for eleven years--until his Daddy came for him! He was ecstatic to see a real home. His Mama would tell him stories of a home. It was warm and would smell like life and happiness rather than the stink of disinfectant like the Breeding Facility or in the case of the Pet Shop, waste and perfumes.

"That's right darling."

Tanner sent a quick message to Sven, a vampire he had Sired decades ago who served as a live in assistant, or as they called it in the old days, a butler. The honey hued man came from the building and approached the car, opening the door for Tanner. "I expected you sooner."

Sven glanced in back and then looked back at Tanner in amazement. Tanner couldn't help but smile a bit bashfully. "I had some...unexpected shopping to do."

"I see that," Sven replied dryly seeing the bags. "I suppose you'd like me to bring them in?"

Tanner smiled. "That's what I pay you for."

He got out of the car and unbuckled Luca who practically bounced out of the car looking around excitedly. He was ecstatic to see the stretch of lush green grass. He could just picture all the wonderful places he could dig and hide his toys. His whole body was shivering with excitement as he Daddy came behind him, rubbing his shoulder. "How does it look pumpkin?"

Luca beamed up at Tanner. "Luca love!"

Tanner all but melted in relief and smiled down at him. "Would you like a tour?"

"Tour?"

"Show you around," Tanner summed with a smile. "How does that sound?"

"Sound good!"

"Then let's get to it!"

***

After forty minutes of looking around the ancient estate Luca was exhausted and ready to cuddle with his Daddy in...where was it called again? Oh right. The lounge.

Tanner had tucked Luca's head beneath his chin as he put on a cartoon show. Luca giggled every now and then as he toyed with his Daddy's fingers. They were long, narrow, cold and pale. But Luca didn't mind. He was doing so without much of a thought as he watched. Sven interrupted Tanner lovingly watching Luca with a gentle threat clear. "Yes?"

"You didn't get any were-friendly ingredients--how should I cook his dinner?"

Tanner tilted his head back and uttered a mental curse. His staff was made entirely of vampires. There wasn't a were on the premise--how had he spaced on something so fucking basic? "Take my car," Tanner sighed.

"Dinner will be late," he was unnecessarily advised.

"Yes, yes." Sighed Tanner with a wave of his hand. "Did you put his things upstairs?"

"I made the guest bed and put it all together. I didn't set up yet--I assumed you'd want to paint first?"

Tanner thought about it. While setting up, tearing down, then resetting up seemed exhausting and stupid he couldn't fathom his baby sleeping in an impersonal room for even a night. Then again even the fast drying paint wouldn't be done in time.

Luca could always bunk with Daddy. He was in new a place, surely it would be a bit creepy at first. "I'll sort out the room. You just work on dinner."

Sven nodded his head and took my keys. His eyes stuck on Luca a moment. "I never imagined you to take on something like this Tanner. Good for you."

He left and Tanner smiled down at his little Luca. He was glad he had taken this step. He couldn't wait to see what the rest of their time would hold.

QOTC: thoughts?!