Thirteen

A/N: Comment & Vote!

"Luca not wear."

"Luca sweetie, Daddy really needs you to shift for me. Once we get there Daddy will take it right off! Pinky promise."

"Luca not want!" The boy tried to flee but Tanner caught him in his arms.

"Luca, you're making Daddy upset. If you do this for Daddy, I'll pick you out a treat."

The boy peered up hesitantly. "Treat?"

"That's right. Now can you be a good boy for Daddy?"

A tan puppy was soon in Tanner's arms, whole body squirming in excitement and delight. Tanner made quick work fitting the equipment on. The muzzle was the most heartbreaking. See such a small, docile creature in such attire was a pity. And Tanner hated it. "Just hang in there Luca." Tanner told him with a small smile. "Daddy will have you out of this soon."

He scooped the boy up, carrying him to the car.

***

The corporate building bustling with business men and women.

At their sides stood their Beasts. Large, intimidating, with glossy fur and bulging muscles. Some were on chains so dainty it was a wonder the Beast hadn't broken free--but these were tamed animals. Tanner got several lingering looks at the small were in his arms. Most assumed he had picked up Breeding as hobby and was caring for a pup.

News was trickling through however and by mid afternoon everyone would know exactly what Tanner was doing with the pup. In his wing of the building he booked it to his office. Once the door was safely shut he made quick work of pulling off the muzzle, collar, and harness. The boy shifted back with a teary glare at his Daddy.

"Now now Cupcake. It's okay."

"Luca not wear again!" He sobbed. "Hurt Luca in here!"

He pointed to his chest and Tanner felt terrible. It hurt his feelings.

"Would like to color while Daddy orders breakfast?" Tanner asked, desperate to mend the damage. A moment his little boy was unhappy was a moment too long in his opinion.

The sweet were beamed however. "Yes Daddy. Luca color you a picture."

A picture. What a splendid idea, Tanner decided as he looked around his painfully dull office. It was impersonal with a black and white color scheme. Save for a black and white picture of the building opening all the way in 1867 there wasn't a thing on the beige walls. Luca's artwork would be a great addition!

He texted his assistant as he settled at the desk. He opened his laptop and began to answer old emails when a knock on the door interrupted him. "I'll get it!" Luca volunteered excitedly.

He hopped up and pulled the door open before Tanner could stop him. His assistant turned her nose up. "So I take you did get a were."

"I'm Luca!"

The platinum blonde stared at him and then looked up at Tanner, her lip slightly curled. "Coffee, sir?"

Tanner sucked on his teeth. He could see the judgment in her eyes but...he didn't care. Not really, anyway. "Yes. A small cup of water."

***

Mid afternoon Griffin stopped in.

An expensive shock collar caught Tanner's attention immediately. "That's new." He frowned.

"Reagan came home and he said he'd only be comfortable with him inside if he had one. And seeing as he nipped at Luca, I figured it was the for the best." Griffin shrugged and sat in the open chair in front of Tanner's desk. Marco laid as far from Griffin as the silver chain allowed.

The Beast was wearing a metal caged muzzle. It was much more visibly abrasive than Luca's little cloth one. But a wolf his side could rip the thick vynal with ease. And a problem like that would be costly. The harness was made with Plythn, a synthetic plastic/fabric material specially designed for large weres with brute strength. It would compress it strained against too hard, making it impossible for the were's ribcage to expand, cutting off oxygen. It had raving reviews and was perfect for out of control weres. Below the shock collar was a choke chain, another safety measure.

"Are you going to remove any of that?"

Plythn wasn't usually worn recreationally. It was only advised to be used for a limited time because heat also caused it to compress. There had been dozens of deaths before the makers issued their warnings. Weres left too long were suffocated by the material. "I'm not risking it. He's already been growling."

The Beast growled again, deep in his chest. Luca put down his crayon and slipped closer to his friend. He touched the metal cage of the muzzle with a frown. "Daddy, Marco sad. Take off now?"

"No pumpkin. It's not mine to take off."

"Luca take off!"

The boy hooked his fingers in the slots and began to pull it off. The were whined a bit as the straps bit into his skin. The edges of the straps had been cut thin intentionally, the harsh leather could cut into a were's skin. Another way to discourage them from trying to be clever and breaking them off.

"Easy," Griffin sighed, shooing Luca with a hand wave. "He's not here to play. He's working."

"Like you?" Tanner asked dryly.

"I was seeing if you wanted to join me for lunch."

Tanner checked the time and hummed. He was feeling a bit peckish. "Luca want off! Hurting Marco!"

"He'll be fine as long he stays calm," Griffin snapped.

Tanner's eyes flashed, daring Griffin to speak to Luca in that manner again. His friend gave him an apologetic grin and tried again in a more friendly tone. "Marco isn't playing nice so he has to wear it."

"Marco play nice with Luca." The boy insisted. He began to pull, much harder this time, and the creature yelped, pushing the boy away with his paw, slipped back some.

Luca sat there stunned for a moment. Then his bottom lip protruded. "Marco mean!" He yowled, climbing to his feet and crawling into his Daddy's lap. "Luca not friends with Marco anymore."

Daddy hummed and stroked his hair. Truthfully, Tanner felt bad. While the less time Luca spent with the Beast the better, he didn't want his little one to be upset. And losing his friend was set to upset him. Griffin sighed and pulled the chain tight until the were let out a hoarse hacking noise. Griffin held for several moments. The Beast began to struggle and strain and almost immediately went limp, falling against the floor.

He harness had visibly constricted and the Beast was now struggling to stay conscious. "Griffin--" Tanner couldn't lie--he was worried. The harness hadn't loosened at all. The animal's mouth was open, tongue pooling against the muzzle grate.

"He'll be fine," Griffin muttered. "Do you want to have lunch?"

"Why don't we order in?" Tanner didn't want to put Luca through the unnecessary strain of equipping him.

"Sounds great." Griffin decided.

QOTC: thoughts? Is Griffin's treatment blatantly abusive or is he really doing what's expected of him that society?
Goal: 20 comments! First comment gets a dedication next chapter! ❤️