Twenty - Seven

A/N: Sorry this took so long! I've been in the process of adopting a cat for some time and here she is!

Maple--Arriving tomorrow! ❤️😍👌
Comment & Vote!
Pic: Marco's human form!

"What's wrong with him?"

"Wrong? Nothing. He's healthy and in fine shape if I may." The vampire had been turned late in his life. His hair was salt and pepper. He put down his notebook. "Though the shifting is unfortunate."

"Unfortunate." Griffin deadpanned as he repeated the phrase.

Marco had his head bent down toward the little bag on the table, sniffing audibly. "Some breeders don't want the weres to get to know their human sides. It creates that human-isque complexion. So they administered the shots at birth. And when they're sold they continue the regular shots. Normally the weres lives it's life out in the shape of its animal but a few somehow overpower it. Which means the serum is not longer active on them."

"So get more shots?" Tanner asked.

"It'd be a waste of money--they will not work on this were any longer. It has the freedom to shift as it pleases. I'm very sorry." The man moved he bag from the man's curious nose. "Most put them down. I can make an appointment if you'd like."

"Kill him? Because he's in that shape?"

"They don't willingly go back, Sir." Frowned the vet. "He's useless to you now. In the cases I've seen of this the Pet Shops honor the sales and issue you a new were free of cost seeing as they sold you a damaged were."

"Can't he be trained?"

"He never learned to shift," replied the vet. "You know the saying--you can't teach an old dog new tricks. Well, this dog is much too old to learn."

Griffin looked overwhelmed by this knowledge so Tanner stepped in. "He'll call you with his decision."

The vet nodded and said his polite goodbyes. Griffin shook his head. "I'm going to have to put him down."

Tanner's heart squeezed uncomfortably. Poor Luca. But alas, Griffin had no other choice. This animal had no purpose. The Beast was oblivious as he paced around a bit before moving rapidly to stand directly in front of Griffin. "Eat."

Griffin backed up again muttered something. "Yeah alright." He finally said clearly. "Might as well let him enjoy his last meal."

"You don't have to put him down Griffin."

"He has no idea how to even exist in this form Tanner." Griffin scooped dry feed into his metal food bowl and set it on the floor instinctively.

The man didn't mind getting down to the floor to eat. Something about watching a man eating dog food was hard to watch and both vampires looked away. "Its just sad." Griffin muttered.

"Teach him."

"You can't teach an old dog new tricks." He repeated dully. "What time is it?"

Tanner checked his phone. "Almost six."

"I need to get ready."

"You still want to go?"

"What else do I have to do? Sit here with him?" He gestured to Marco who was still munching away obliviously. "He'll be fine."

"Will he?" Tanner was nervous--mostly because he was still technically dateless.

"Yes Tanner. I'm going to get ready--I'll swing by your pass around six forty alright?"

Tanner muttered an agreement and left at a loss. Back home Sven was pushing around matchbox cars with a clearly upset Luca. "Daddy!" The boy crowed getting to his feet and flinging himself at Tanner. "Luca sorry. Luca not want Daddy to leave him!"

Sven gave him a tight look further intensifying the guilt. "I didn't leave you sweetheart. Daddy just had to go check on Uncle Grif. It's okay."

The boy tangled his hands in his shirt and Tanner stroked his hair softly. "What was the big problem?" Sven asked with an air of suspicion. "Luca honey it's snack time."

Snack time? The boy untangled himself and beamed at the servant as they headed into the kitchen. Tanner tagged along a few paces behind. "Some problems with his were." Tanner was hesitant to bring this up--he wasn't sure how much Luca could pick up.

"Such as?" Sven pushed open the kitchen door.

Tanner sat Luca into his seat and the boy reached for a coloring book left there from earlier. With Luca busied with an activity Tanner didn't mind stepping into the kitchen. Sven was cutting up thin slabs of meat. Tanner crinkled his nose as Sven began to spear the thin pieces on tooth picks, separating every couple with a little cube of cheese and something green. "What is that?" Tanner gestured to a partially cut green, phallus shaped object on a cutting board.

"It's called a cucumber. And they grow here. I was thinking about growing some of these...vegetables here. It'd be much cheaper." Sven retorted. "Anyway, you were saying?"

"He shifted. Back to his human form."

Sven's jaw went slack. "What happened?"

"Nothing. He's a kind of slow," commented Tanner with a vague shrug. "Griffin's going to put him down."

"Why?" Sven asked, seeming alarmed.

Tanner wasn't sure why he cared so much but answered despite. "He's never been in a human form before and the vet said he can never learn to shift."

"So? He can be useful in his human shape, can't he?"

"He doesn't have an ounce of intelligence, Sven." Tanner explained. "He wouldn't know what to do. He still thinks he's a fucking dog."

"Watch your language." Sven wagged the knife in front of his face. "And he's not a dog he's a wolf. Just like Luca. And I'm sure he's just as sweet as Luca."

"It's Griffin's decision ultimately and he already decided that--"

"He decided he wasn't going to date and you changed his mind." Pressed Sven. "You can change his mind on this."

Tanner sucked on his teeth. "Say I do sway him. What do I get?"

"Excuse me?" Sven went back to dicing the cucumber.

"If I do this for you, what will you do for me?"

"Continue caring for your Little while you're out." Sven sniffed.

"You'd do that anyway. You are still my employee. I'm thinking that you'll go on this date with me."

Sven set down the knife. "No Tanner. I already said no. And trying to coerce me doesn't mean I'll give you my consent."

"This isn't an in to fuck you Sven. It's just dinner. And bowling. You always liked bowling." Tanner tried to reason.

"Who would look after Luca?"

"We'd take him! You're hardly a date--you're more of a caretaker for him." Tanner smiled. "And you can help me convince Griffin not to put down that poor creature. Please Sven. Or should I say Fen."

Sven's ability to refuse disappeared at the name. Like it or not Luca had somehow wiggled into Sven's heart and he was able to use this as a way to let himself give in to Tanner's will. "Let me finish up here and I'll go get dressed."

"You look fine," Tanner argued.

"I was royalty once Tanner. Royalty never looks fine."

QOTC: Thoughts? Was Tanner being manipulative? Was this a bad decision?