Thirty - One Part 1

A/N: Comment & Vote!

After another tense morning Tanner and Luca went to work.

Luca had plans of all the pictures he would colored for his Daddy while Tanner sulked at the events from the night before. With his servant and best friend upset with him Tanner was forced to realize how small his circle was. No matter how much he loved Luca he did need an adult to converse with. And work place acquaintances would not suffice. So he would have pluck up the courage and apologize.

Though he had done so already. But now, with a bit more time to calm down, Tanner hoped his friend would be more willing to accept it. There were no promises of course. Tanner bit back a sigh as he pulled into his parking space. Griffin's SUV was there as well.

"Luca draw...kitty!" The boy decided excitedly as his Daddy helped out.

"A kitty hm? Well that sounds very nice." Tanner was only half listening but hearing Luca's little voice still brought a smile to his face.

"Luca color purple kitty!" Corrected Luca.

"A purple kitty?" Crooned Tanner. "I can't wait!"

Tanner held Luca's little hand as they got into the elevator. The boy began to sniffle loudly. "Marco was here!" He crowed excitedly.

A suited man grimaced in the were's direction. Tanner glowered at him in response until he looked away. "We'll visit him this afternoon." Promised Tanner."

The afternoon dawned quickly. With three new pictures hung on the beige walls and lunch in their bellies Tanner and Luca took a trip up two floors to Griffin's office. Tanner knocked twice before entering.

Griffin looked over the top of his laptop and Marco stood in a bullying position although it wavered when he saw Luca. The pup tilted his head excitedly. "Marco like me Daddy!" Squealed Luca gesturing to Marco.

"I see that pumpkin."

"My office isn't a playground Tanner." Griffin began to tap on his keyboard again. "If you must, bring them to your office. It's larger than mine."

"Don't be be a prick Griffin. I said I was sorry."

"Sorry doesn't take it back Tanner. You saw how much pain I was in but you don't care. Just because you don't love anyone--"

"I love Luca and I love--" Tanner cut himself off and bit his lip. Mentally he finished, Sven.

"No you don't. It's easy to say but I doubt you've felt love once in your life. You killed your own Sire. Don't think I've forgotten. You know what they say--a vampire who kills his own can't be trusted."

Tanner was floored at the accusation. "I did it for him."

Marco was picking up on the tension and puffed out his chest. He was ready to defend his Keeper's honor. "You did it for you. You can pretend like it was hard but we both know your best interest comes first." Griffin laughed humorlessly. "And God help whomever gets in your way."

"And you?" Spat Tanner furiously. All courtesy was gone. "You're a pathetic love hungry fool who brings nothing to the table. Your sub-par in every way imaginable. And I'm shocked Reagan put up with you so long."

Griffin got to his feet and Marco stepped forward, practically nose to nose with the angry vamp. "Get out." Growled Griffin. "Before I let him tear you to shreds,"

The Beast snarled, a solemn agreement. Luca whimpered in fear. He didn't like his Daddy's angry words. "The Dog you used to beat and humiliate? Or maybe you clued into the face the stupid mutt's imprinted on you? Love wherever you can find it right?"

Griffin threw his coffee mug and it broke against the wall covering Tanner in shards specks of luke warm coffee. "I will not ask again."

"Or maybe you'll go after that weak little twink who's Sire your mutt murdered? His type are easy and dependable--perfect for you."

Griffin shook his head. "You know what? I actually feel sorry for you. No, scratch that. I feel sorry for them. For Sven and Luca. To have to deal with such a heartless, arrogant--"

"Am I interrupting something?"

The Senior VP's voice was light in worry. He'd never seen two friends so upset. Tanner turned around smoothly. "Nothing. A disagreement. Can I help you?"

The VP glanced at Griffin. "Just  checking the status of form W-R-121."

"I'll be faxing it shortly."

"Right well send it right to my secretary. And try to keep it down, alright? This is a workplace."

***

Luca cried all afternoon but Tanner was so distracted he didn't notice. He did his work sloppily, ignored three conference calls, and yelled at an intern who cried. All in all he was having a shitty day.

And he couldn't stop thinking about last night.

It was deep cut and his encounter with Griffin had been salt to the wound. Had he done Sven so badly there was no chance of reconnection? And surely Griffin wouldn't ever forgive him. Tanner head was pounding by the time he told Luca it was time to go. In his haste he even tossed a well colored dolphin in the recycling bin thinking it was scrap paper.

Once again didn't notice Luca's tears.