Forty - Four Part 1

A/N: Comment and Vote!

"Do you see that there?"

Luca whimpered as the vet moved his hair to the side. It seemed so obvious when it was pointed out--how had they missed it? "I removed the tick already but once the disease sets in, it's a death sentence for weres."

Tanner felt a pang of something he hadn't felt in a long time--sorrow. "What do you mean?"

"You don't normally find ticks in this area." He continued. He released his hold on Luca who dove back into his bed. "Has been in any heavily wooded areas recently?"

The Farm. Tanner felt responsible. It had been a horrible idea and he should have known better. Sven had suggested it however. This was just as much his fault and he knew it as he stared down at the ground spiraling. "Yes."

"That's where he picked it up probably." 

"So can't he be treated?"

"It's gotten too far at this point. I'd expect his joints to start stiffening at any point within the next day or so. He won't be able to walk. The humane thing would be to put him down." The vet made it to the door. "I'll send you my bill over email. I can euthanize him at a discounted rate if you can convince your friend over there to put his were down at the same time."

Tanner nodded numbly as the vet departed. The sickly were didn't have the energy to look at his Daddy. He just popped his thumb in his his mouth oblivious to everything expect the strange aching in his body. The same dragged on as Tanner paced the kitchen. He didn't know what to do.

Nothing could be done to save him and he was suffering. The humane thing would be to end the painful existence before it got too bad. Before his poor boy would be able unable to walk and terrified and hurt and Tanner would be powerless. But it had all gone by too soon. The sweet boy had like a literal sweet: gone far too soon. But he couldn't just reach into the bag and get another. He was certain they had broken the mold after Luca.

It eventually came time to bring Luca to bed. Diapers had become a must—he simply wasn't getting up to use the potty and soon it wouldn't just be his fatigue. It would be impossible. Tanner read him countless stories and showed him all the pictures. His eyes were dull and glassy and Tanner found himself wistfully thinking about the energy that had once kept the pup scampering around during odd hours of the night.

Eventually Luca fell into a restless sleep with more whimpers and grimaces than Tanner could deal with. He was forced to leave the room and retire to his bedroom where he was greeted with yet another sickening image. The suitcase was still empty which offered just a glimmer of hope but the dry eyed look on Sven's face didn't offer any sort of comfort. "What's wrong?"

"I found this."

He threw the little bottle on the bed. There was label on it from the Farm with the date, age, and blood type. "I got a sample."

"Stop lying to me Tanner. I killed that little girl. I can't do it. I can't live this life. Not with you."

His Prince was going to leave him to? No. He wouldn't have it. Fury seared inside him and the sound of shattering glass pierced through the entire upstairs as the suitcase crashed through the patio door. Cool air flowed in as Tanner breathed heavily. Sven had winced ever so slightly at the sound but he mostly looked regretful. "You will be okay. I'm easily replaceable."

"Shut up Sven. Before I get angry."

"Tanner." Why hadn't Sven just slipped out when he had the chance? "Im the reason Luca is sick. If I had held on—"

"Hang on." Tanner pled. "I can't lose you too. Not in the same night. I've made more mistakes than you can imagine Sven but I don't let them ruin me."

"Tanner please. Don't make this harder than it already is." The Prince could feel emotion swelling in his empty chest. Had his heart still been beating he was certain it would be poising in fear from a future unknown. "By next week we'll both be gone and you can start again. There's a Campaign going around on Tuesday. You have friends in the area."

I could Sire Luca. "Sven what happens to a werewolf if you try to turn them?"

Sven looked horrified at the idea and Tanner began to second guess himself. But the expression on the Prince's face quickly moved to wonder. "I don't know. It would change him in every way Tanner. The strain is designed to completely heal the body before the change is complete. He wouldn't look the same."

"How big would he get?"

"There's no way to tell. Cross-Breeding is strictly prohibited and the offender and the creation can be put to death for doing it." Sven was trying to steer Tanner out of this mind frame. He was desperate and stupid. "Tanner this a poor idea and you know it."

"I can't let him just die." Tanner spat.

"Weres die Tanner. It's part of owning one."

"But what if he didn't have to die?" Tanner pressed. Sven was still talking and that was good. "What if we tried it? It would be worse not knowing."

Sven gripped his hair as he struggled to find words to soothe the unhinged vampire. "I'll stay until you put him down." He tried to bargain. "I understand you don't want to be alone. I know it's scary--"

"This is your fault!" Tanner didn't like how he seemed to be shifting the blame toward him. "You owe it to me to at least try."

Sven was ataken back the ferocity in his voice and began to doubt his decision. Would attempting a turn be that insane? Highly illegal, yes, but if it meant a life save... "We could try." Tanner insisted again. "And if it doesn't work than we'll have him out down. I'll take complete responsibility and you can move on with you life."

Sven felt ill. He knew he was consciously making a horrible decision but he had made this mistake. "Fine. We'll try to turn him."

So it's been a while, lol. Sorry about that. I don't know who (if anyone) is still reading this but if you do and you liked it please comment and vote!