Fifteen

A/N: Comment & Vote!

Griffin ended up dragging the Beast out several minutes later after his hand had healed.

Once the office had returned to its quiet state and Tanner turned to deal with his little one properly. Admittedly sticking him in a corner with nothing to reflect on was stupid. "Come here Luca darling."

The little were turned to face his Daddy, nervously wringing his hands together. He didn't want to be punished again. "Do you know why I put you in the time out corner Luca?" Tanner asked.

Luca looked all around the office before he spoke. And while he spoke, his eyes settled everywhere but his Daddy's face. He was scared to see the disappointment and anger. He was scared Daddy was going to send him away. "Luca bad boy."

"Luca is a good boy," Tanner argued. "A good boy who did a naughty thing."

"Luca share!" The boy protested in bewilderment. "Luca good boy?"

"You can't share food with Marco without permission." Luca had no way of knowing this and Tanner began to regret punishing him. "You need to remember that now."

"Why Marco not eat food? He hungry."

"He wouldn't be hungry if he ate his food," Tanner replied. "Marco eats special food. He can't eat your food. Do you understand?"

The golden eyed boy nodded. "Daddy hate Luca?"

"Daddy loves Luca so, so much." Replied Tanner, cuddling the boy.

Luca curled into his lap. "Luca sorry. Luca not share food no more with Marco."

"And no throwing plates either," Tanner added.

"Luca no throw plates."

"Good boy."

***

Around four a coworker stopped into Tanner's office.

Luca was fast asleep in his were form under the desk and out of sight so Tanner didn't have to worry. "Hello--did you manage to compress the folder on the Buttons account?"

"Already zipped and emailed," Tanner confirmed with a nod.

"Great--you're a lifesaver Tanner, you know that?"

He smiled and held up his wireless mouse. "Just doing my job Darryn."

"Say," Darryn added as an afterthought as he backed out of the office. "They're having a werepit in the basement after work--you should come. I'm putting good money on the new werejaguar--you should see those claws!"

Were-fighting; adapted from the human activity of dog and cock fights, vampires would pit weres against each other in a ring while onlookers voted on who would come out alive. Tanner had found enjoyment in it back in his day--after all what was better than two animals ripping into each other? The feral expression of strength.

But now Tanner was over it. The senseless violence held no luster for him. It was no longer survival of the fittest--it was just desperate brutes doing what they were told. Not that it was any different from their savage inclinations they showed back when they were wild. Luca wasn't like those creatures. He was...docile. Nearly...a being on the same level as Tanner. He never imagined a Pet Shop were to captivate him the way Luca had. He was something special.

In fact, Luca's species hardly registered with the ancient vampire anymore. He didn't consider Luca to be part of the were race.

Luca was his little vampire...who happened to turn into a wolf.

"I don't know. I'm pretty busy." Tanner replied evenly.

The vampire smiled. "They've got a Lycan up next though."

Lycans were exceptionally rare. Humans contaminated with a faulty were gene especially of the lupine strain. It mutated their bodies horribly during forced cycles of shifting. They had the face of a wolf with thick, leathery gray skin. Their hands would grow, fingers tipped with lethal claws. They stood on their hind legs, walking like civilized beings such as vampires rather than on four legs like the wereanimals.

They were hideous, blood thirsty, and undeniably powerful. They were one of the few creature capable to killing a vampire with anything but a stake. Lycans were bred and kept in learning facilities. They lived behind glass in keeps we're young vampires could tour and see them. When they weren't in a Lycan cycle they practiced the age old acts of 'humanity'. They were like the humans kept in the blood banks. But young ones would sometimes try and interact. Occasionally they would bring out for vampires to touch. As they aged they grew more skittish however.

The blood of Lycan carried a hefty price. It was a natural euphoric substance that vampires took recreationally. It had been banned by the Capital for a several decades when the Lycan population reached critical levels and was edging on total extinction. But now numbers were up vampires could purchase an eight ounce vial for seventy two hundred dollars.

"You'll have to tell me how it goes." Tanner decided with a smile. "Thank you."

He left with a smile and Tanner returned to his work. He had worked his way up companies dozens of times. But the luxurious chaotic life of a business tycoon wasn't what he enjoyed. He didn't mind working beneath someone. It was less of a headache for him and, if he ever decided to, rising in power within the company would be done with ease.

Working 9 to 5 ensured he had plenty of income and more importantly, plenty of time to spend with Luca. Despite his momentary peace he couldn't quite keep his mind off of his friend's new Beast. Griffin hadn't been that kind of person. He regarded weres with an normal air of handling--he wasn't violent. And watching other creatures suffer never appealed to him. Even when the humans roamed free, and vampires hid in the shadow of myth, Griffin fed out of necessity not enjoyment.

The sadistic types would purchase their own humans and feed to cause them pain.

Not Griffin.

So why was it he had such a short fuse with the were? What was telling him his behavior warranted such gross overreactions? He had no reason to care--the were was simply that--a were. But if Griffin killed it... Tanner wasn't prepared to see his friend in that light. He frowned and sat back in his chair, scrubbing a hand over his face. "Damnit all," he muttered.

He didn't want to get involved. He wanted to look away--to turn the other cheek and let bygones be bygones. But he knew that it was Reagan who was pushing Griffin to this point. Stress did awful things to someone. Was that an excuse? Hardly. But it was the best Tanner had.

He looked down at the peaceful pup and smiled. While he could never see a Beast in the same light he saw Luca he could tell he was softening toward them whether he liked it or not.

QOTC: thoughts?