Twelve

A/N: Comment & Vote

When Tanner returned with the bottle, Luca was sitting on the couch.

He passed the drink to his friend and helped Luca dress. The boy was awfully squirmy however. "Marco not play with Luca," he pouted. "Daddy let Marco be person like Daddy and Grif and Luca?"

"He can't pumpkin. His job is to stay in that shape."

Luca's bottom lip pushed out. "Daddy no!"

"Daddy doesn't like it when you whine. Would you some water?" He gestured to the cup that had been set aside.

"No. Water tastes bad."

"What do you mean pumpkin?"

"Luca not want it!" The were's voice rose several octaves. "Luca not want, Luca not want, Luca not want--"

"Enough!" Tanner's voice was low. The were obediently silenced him. "Why don't you want you the water?"

Luca's thumb found its way into his mouth. "Water smells bad."

"That's all you had to say sweetheart. Daddy doesn't like it when Luca whines." Tanner took the cup and dumped it. His nose couldn't pick up the chemical stench but the were's superior sense of smell could. He filled the cup with water from the fridge and brought it back.

Luca took the glass carefully cupped in both hands. Water sloshed dangerously and Tanner narrowly saved Luca from dropping it. "Daddy take away water?"

Tanner had stupidly forgotten about getting drinkware that would be Luca friendly. Another thing to add to the list it seemed. He went to the kitchen and splashed half the glass into a bowl that he slid carelessly in front of the Beast on the floor. It hit his snout but Marco didn't react. He dippers his face in, struggling to get the low level of water with the muzzle on. Tanner had expected such--a subtle punishment for the were and amusement for Tanner.

"You could give him more water." Griffin's voice was riddled with annoyance but Tanner wasn't bothered.

"Once he finishes that he can have more."

The four sat in silence until Luca spoke. He had a water droplet on his chin. "Marco be like Luca now? Put on shoulders?"

The wolf hadn't given up on trying to drink. He used his paw to tip the water and pool it on one side. Tanner was waiting for him to dump it on his carpet--it would be an excellent reason to have him chained outside for the remainder of the evening. "His shots won't wear off for a good six months I guess. But I sprung for the new kind so hopefully we can go a whole year before we have to redo."

The 'shots' kept the weres in their animal form. It was a handy invention that had revolutionized and solidified their roles as protection Beasts. Constantly redoing the shots every six months was a headache for vampires so they'd been working toward finding a serum potent enough to last a year and hopefully, eventually, a Beasts entire life.

"Daddy?"

"Sorry cupcake. Marco can't in his other shape anymore."

Luca frowned and plopped down beside the were, stroking his fur. Tanner watched in dissatisfaction and worry. Marco didn't move. He had given up in the water and now laid dejectedly on the floor at his Master's feet. "Luca bored."

"Would you like to watch some TV?"

Luca beamed. "Yes Daddy."

***

"He texted me."

It was quite late. Luca wasn't showing signs of exhaustion but Marco was in the sleep state weres went it. Occasionally his eyes would move as if he watching. Tanner couldn't shake a relentless agitation at his mere sight. The fury from his actions had yet to lessen. "Oh?" Tanner was surprised Griffin had heard from Reagan so soon.