Twenty

A/N: Comment & Vote! And check out my new story The Island! It's a little side project I'm having fun with. So please, please check it out!

"Hello Cayden."

The young secretary looked up once, twice before he granted a small smile to Tanner. "Hello Tanner--is there something I can help you with?"

"Work wise, not so much. More like...after work."

The pale man looked around nervously. "I'm...busy?"

"What do you mean busy?" Tanner couldn't help but be disappointed. Surely he was perfect for Griffin!

"I'm..." the man seemed at a loss--the first hint he was lying. "Out-out with friends?"

"Look Tanner, you're really nice and all but--"

"Not me. Griffin."

"Who?"

"Works in 103?"

"With that big were?" The man visibly perked. So Marco had attracted outside attention.

"That's him."

"Oh." Cayden pushed his keyboard forward slightly and smiled boyishly. "I wouldn't mind going out with him. Did he send you over here?"

Lie? "Uh, yeah."

Cayden smiled. "He got me a cup of coffee last week--was that his idea of flirting?"

Tanner was quickly growing bored with this and forced a smile. "That's Griffin for you. Tomorrow night at seven. He will pick you up."

"Oh!" The flustered vampire quickly scrawled his address on a scrap piece of paper. "Tell him I can't wait."

"Will do."

***

"So you got him a date?" Sven repeated dumbly.

Taner's hands ran along Luca's body. The pup was soaking wet from his bath and seemingly stuck in his Were shape. Little teeth caught the towel playfully, making Tanner smiled and tug on it. A tiny growl bubbled in his chest. Sven held the dusting rag thoughtfully. "Yup. Turns out he's quite smitten too."

"Imagine how crushed he'll be when Griffin wants to fuck him and go--or worse, doesn't show interest after you got him all hopeful."

Tanner sighed. "Why are you trying to poke holes in this plan?"

"Because it's a bad plan." Sven polished a figurine and sighed. "Poor guy's going to be heart broken."

"Well that's his concern. I'm more worried about my friend--Luca, how am I supposed to dry you if you keep trying to eat the towel?"

The pup leapt from Tanner lap, feet sliding out from under him due to his wetness. He slid a few feet before getting up and giving Tanner a wolfy smile. He was oblivious to the conversation around him. "That's cruel Tanner."

"Relax." He sighed with an eye roll. "God. You've been so uptight today. How's Luca's dinner coming?"

"I found lamb shanks. They're marinating."

"Lamb?"

"Yeah."

"How long do you think?"

"Probably a few more hours." Sven didn't understand the rush. It was only four in the afternoon.

"Good. We'll be back soon then."

Sven wanted to ask him where he was going but he held his tongue. "Have fun." Sven bid, a bit bitterly, as he ran the rag over the mahogany side tables.

Tanner hummed, taking a thin leather collar, leash and muzzle set from its hook by the door. Upon seeing it Luca whimpered loudly, running under a squat side table and curling up into a small ball. "Sweetie please." Tanner sighed, crouching down with a frown. "Unless you want to shift back and get dressed."

Luca let out a sad howl. Tanner reached down to pull him out, withdrawing suddenly as sharp teeth pierced his hand. He pulled back watching three tiny beads of blood rising above his skin. Luca had bit him.

As if realizing his mistake Luca crawled out, rolling over to expose his belly with a sad whimper of apology. Tanner's stomach twisted uncomfortably. A were with a biting problem was a huge problem. There was nothing he could think to say or do in the moment.

While he knew ignoring it was an awful idea, he just couldn't fathom a good way to handle it. He carefully fit he collar around his neck and then the muzzle, tightening it a bit extra. It made his heart heavy but that first bite was still ringing in his mind. He clipped on the leash and stood. Luca rolled over and got up, little tail beginning to wag as the tension eased a bit. "C'mon." Tanner sighed.

Sven had watched quietly and wanted to scold the pup himself but it wasn't his place. So he watched them leave with a feeling of regret and worry. If Luca thought he could get away with biting they were in for a world of trouble.

***

Griffin's home wasn't as big as Tanner's.

It was a basic seven room house: kitchen, dining room, living room, two bathrooms, and two bedrooms. Tanner wasn't willing to let Luca wander for in an unfamiliar area so he had him against his chest. As he knocked.

Almost instantly there was a loud booming bark.

Instantly Luca began to howl, a low, mournful noise that was unbelievably annoying. The door was pulled open while Griffin wrestled the huge wolf back so Tanner could enter. Hope fades from Griffin's face--he had hoped it would be Reagan clearly. "Thought I'd drop in. Let Luca get some energy out."

The wolf calmed significantly once he recognized the guests and even sat down. Tanner was shocked at how tall he sat all over again. "Okay. Great. Come in."

The door opened into the kitchen. The counter was cluttered with take out trash and empty bottles. "Don't mind the mess." His friend sighed.

Were toys were also strewn about, much to Tanner's surprise. Apparently the strictness had left with Reagan. At least he was playing with Marco.

Luca scrabbled down and Tanner quickly took off the safety equipment. The small pup bounced on a ball that let out a squeak. Instantly Marco was there body bowed playfully. "Squeaky toys." Tanner commented, pushing a dirty suit out of the way so he could eat.

Griffin looked exhausted and hopeless. "Reagan never would have allowed it." Griffin sighed. "I really should treat him more like a were and not as a pet..."

Tanner didn't know what to say. "I think you're doing just fine."

"Oh yeah?" Griffin laughed humorlessly. "I miss him Tanner. I want him back."

"You have a date tomorrow."

Griffin groaned. "Tanner no. I can't. I'm not...in a good enough place--"

"He likes you. Really likes you. It's Cayden--from work."

Griffin furrowed his brow. "Who?"

"He works in Office 73--you got him coffee once?"

Griffin just stared at him blankly.

Great.

QOTC: thought?