Thirty - Nine Part 2

A/N: Comment & Vote!

"We have several demonstrations set up, as well as visiting a historical set up where we can see Humans live as they were."

The peppy woman was speaking mostly to the college students. Luca was staring around in wonder, hoping to catch sight of one. "We're going to begin with the young ones."

She began to walk and the group shifted obediently behind her.

"Our females are very careful when it comes to their Kin so we had to seperate them during this demonstration." They entered a warehouse first. It looked newly constructed. There was a gated area where they just have corralled the mothers. There were cots lining the walls, separated by little cradles. And in the cradles were the babies.

Luca cooed as he saw the pink creature, swaddles in a soft blue blanket. "Here we encourage organic breeding whenever possible--so these little ones vary in age because we don't have a birthing season like a lot of other corporations or even for-profit farms." She lifted a bigger one and held it out a bit. From the gated area there was a small noise of discomfort that the guide did not acknowledge. "This one is about three months alive. It's a male--and lives off the nutrients in the milk from his mother's breasts."

"Like Beasts?" A narrowed faced vampire leaned in a bit. "They feed at the teat?"

"In a way, yes. But their bodies are proportional to ours--the females have two breasts with only a single nipple on each rather than how Beasts can over their young several--not to mention they have liters and most of our humans have one."

"Most?"

"The most a single woman has had was three. Two did not make it unfortunately and neither did she."

"With the mother dead who cared for the baby?"

"You know it's fascinating--the women all did. They saw it alone and adopted it in. They are very sensitive creatures and more aware than we give them credit for." She returned the baby to its cradle. "Now this a temporary housing unit for mothers with young under one year. After that point they are moved to their normal assignments--we call them 'cabins'."

"Do you drain the pregnant ones?"

"We do, yes. Excellent question. There has been an increased demand for the blood with all the extra nutrients--not to mention that blood volume goes up considerably! Most we do partial drains to fill small orders--those times they sometimes lose the babies but they survive--but for the large orders we drain them completely. It's how we control numbers." She explained. "Any other questions?"

"At what age do you drain the babies?"

"We do partial drains beginning at six months--but full drains can be ordered after birth. It is very costly to our orders and also very trying on the mothers we've found. They often grow cold and reclusive, refusing to breed again on their own." She took a step to the side. "You're all welcome to come and examine the littles ones closer."

Sven squeezed Luca's hand. "Want to touch one?"

"Okay Fen--Daddy touch too?"

"Sure Cupcake. Have you tried it?" The question was aimed at Sven who blinked. "Newborn blood? No--I never could bring myself too."

"I had once at a gathering. It's exquisite--I could order some when we go? I'm sure you'd enjoy it."

Had Sven not seen the child before him he would have agreed. But he couldn't knowingly take one of these little one's lives. He simply couldn't. "That's alright. Thank you though."

"They're squishy!"

Luca's finger was pressed into the baby's cheek. The creature was used to being poked and prodded and didn't make too much noise of objection but it closed its eyes. "Careful Luca. They can get hurt."

"They much tougher than you'd expect." One of the female vampires chimed in. "They have, like, extra bones."

"How many extra?" Sven wondered aloud.

"I don't know. Maybe a hundred?" The girl shrugged and picked one up. "God they're so warm."

"Their body temperatures are high," the guide agreed. "We've put together samples from a partial draining on two year old as well."

A platter with small plastic cups had appeared on a little table Tanner hadn't noticed. The college students approached first, taking the cups and throwing back before nodding their approval. Tanner retrieved two cups--he could tell Sven was uncertain. "Relax--it was a partial. The human will live to be completely drained later."

"Thanks for validating how I feel about this Tanner. Seriously." Sven rolled his eyes and took the little cup. "What's it taste like?"

"Sweet. C'mon Sven let your instincts take over."

Sven could deny that the smell was making his thirsty. He desperately wanted to taste it. He took the cup to his lips and sipped. The taste was intoxicatingly wonderful. It was so potent not to mention fresh. The warmth was artificial or due to the heat--this came from a body...recently. "We don't treat the blood here because we feed our humans the best feed and let them live in clean conditions." She explained.

Sven's senses were heightened and his canines extended down, seeking flesh to pierced. Suddenly all these young creatures were unbelievably tempting. "If you're ready we can move onto the next stop."

Sven felt unbelievably guilty as he exited the building--like he had done something immoral. "Wasn't it good?" Tanner's fingers knotted with his own and Sven felt the tension slipping away. It was amazing what this man's touch could do. "It's food--they're food. And you didn't take the life."

"But I'm ingesting it."

"Relax," smirked Tanner. "And focus on how good your feel."

It was true. Sven felt so...powerful. Blood hadn't hit him like this in...a long time. Since the last time he and Tanner had a live binge feeding back in the seventies. Luca pulled on Sven's hand dragging him away from his thoughts. "Look!"

The human was interacting with a were playfully. Wolves seemed very popular here and this one was much more petite and a sandy brown color. A few other vampires followed the little voice curiously. "Yes--humans and weres get along very well here. They're almost...pets? Or companions. They stick close to the humans they like." The woman summed with a smile.

"Who's are they?" Tanner found himself asking. There was so unnerving about seeing the loose beasts with no collars or chains.

"They belong here, to the Farm. They've been bred here--they've very loyal and calm. They help keep large predators out." She reached and the young wolf approached her with splayed ears, letting her pet him.

Luca peeked up at Daddy. "Why she do that?"

"She's petting. She's being nice."

"Not nice. Makes him feel little inside. But he scared."

"Hush." Sven tucked Luca against his body. Weres needed to be afraid of their keepers--if not nothing would keep them contained.

"Anyway." She drew back and the animal backed away. The human had retreated into the woods it seemed and the creature took off after its scent. "Let's go look at the Cabins."

So like, what do you think so far?