Thirty - Nine Part 3

A/N: Comment & Vote!

The cabins were about half a mile out from the area they had entered.

It was surrounded by trees with open grassy space for the young ones to play. "They tend to their own feedings most of the time." The guide explained. She led them to a small enclosure where a human was using a tool diligently. She did not pause as we crowded around to stare at the shrubbery. "They eat things they grow--kind of like us."

"So they're herbivores?"

"No, omnivores. There are some wild pigs we brought in as well as chickens. The humans watch the numbers closely though--and make sure that at least one male and two females are alive during each season. We haven't had to restock in almost ten years--minus a few chickens thanks to a few weres we had to put down."

"Where are they?"

"The humans? In the woods, mingling, perhaps taking shelter: they work as a team. They gather foods and having large meals together--it's a pity they never do it when we have groups coming in. But they're private creatures." She reached out and pulled an item from the stalk. "This is corn--they don't even eat it. They'll bring it out into the woods to attract pigs."

"How do they slaughter them?"

"Sometimes with knives. But we drained one of their best hunters a few months back and we noticed they went a bit reclusive--they noticed he was gone--and they didn't hunt. For about a week we noticed they were getting less and less protein. It really affected their blood. We were going to take up those supplements that the big organizations use to keep their levels where they needed to be. But then we came around to gather some females for a partial and there were fresh kills in a pile. The weres had gone out and hunted for them." A murmur of surprise passed through the groups. Sven wasn't surprised--Beasts hunted naturally. Maybe hunting for a human was strange in today's time but not that surprising if they got along so well. "Anyhow, we can take a look inside the living quarters."

One door was propped open already and the vampires eagerly took a look.

There were rows of bunks with a bit of floor space between. "We have to keep it heated in the winter because humans can and will freeze to death in the winter conditions here."

"I have a question." The curly haired female raised her hand. "Back turning the New Borns Age--like when were turned--what did the Empire permit you to turn? And did they remain on location?"

"Great question! As you know in order to keep our population consistent, we go through periods of 'open turning'. That's where I imagine a lot our younger guests came from? Large organizations were tasked with picking out only the best human specimens to give them this wonderful gift." She smiled. "Our local power gave us permission for two. We made a reasonable decision based upon age, physical appearance, and history. One of the New Borns did not take well and was consequently staked but the other did very well and is currently traveling though she plans to return with more exotic humans."

"Bullshit," Tanner murmured. "Ethnicity doesn't affect the taste of blood. Trust me, I've tried them all. It's just a cheap marketing ploy--the rich want someone fancy from Europe or Asia or Africa--it's all the same though."

"A blood connoisseur, are you?" Sven mused.

Tanner couldn't help but grin. "But of course my dear. You don't get to be my age without a healthy appreciation."

"Have you ever been tempted to turn a human outside of an 'open turning'?"

"Of course the temptation is there--youngrow fond of some of them. And some of them are quite clever and draw in workers in an attempt to get changed illegally. But as we all know, that ends poorly for all parties and we follow our Empire's laws here." She smiled widely. "Now if you'd like we can head over the draining compound."

The group moved ahead eagerly and Sven hung back a bit, lower lip caught between his teeth. "What's wrong?"

"Maybe this much is good." Sven decided carefully. "There are live demonstrations of drainings and I think it might be a bit much."

"For you or for Luca?"

"Both." Sven professed. "Look at him, he had fun. Seeing life leave a creature is... it changes you Tanner. I don't want that for him."

Tanner was personally itching to watch fresh blood split but he could see he was pushing Sven outside of his comfort zone which was surprising from a once so kinky prince. "Alright, we'll go back."

Relief washed over Sven and he touched Tanner's chest gently. "Thank you."

"Anything for you darling." Luca tugged his hand free as he saw a little human in the trees.

Sven turned to grab him but it was too--Luca had shifted and darted after the creature.

QOTC: thoughts? Thought I'd leave it on a little cliff hanger lol.