Twenty - Nine

A/N: a short chapter--sorry! Let me know what you think so far! Comment & Vote!

Tanner slammed against the new vampire.

Cayden had pressed himself far out of the way, staring at the scene in horror. The stake was wedged into Griffin's chest as Tanner knocked him to the side. Luca yelped helplessly at he watched his Daddy falling and Marco being bit. He could smell blood.

Sven scooped the small boy in his arms and dunked into the rest room hauling Cayden behind him. The young vampire began to cry. Sven wasn't sure to who to comfort first! "Hush Luca," Sven hugged the boy close and looked at Cayden.

He had his hand over his mouth as if afraid to alert the vampire outside of his whereabouts. His eyes showed sheer terror--Sven briefly wondered what it would be like to fear Tanner that much. "Are you alright?"

The young vamp shook his head. "He's going to kill him."

"Tanner won't let that happen." The promise was hollow--Sven didn't know what was happening outside. However he was a bit irked his evening out had been spoiled--though he could argue it would have been spoiled despite simply because he had to be there. "The commission has already died down some."

The sound of the fighting animals had ceased--their dual to the death complete and Sven hoped Marco had come out triumphant. He didn't want Luca to have to see the mangled body of his friend presented to the were's Master.

Out in the restaurant Tanner was barreled over yet again by the overzealous wolf. To his left there was a badly marred werecougar corpse. Before him Tanner was reminded why the war against weres had been conducted. They were lethal beasts with the strength of ten animals and the intelligence of vampires.

Marco laid his body over the vampire's torso, effectively pinning him. Marco didn't give him a moment to struggle as he pressed his paw under his chin, shoving his head back as he attacked the throat. The screams drowned to a moist bubbling sound as the werewolf gnawed throwing his trachea. The constant pressure was slowly snapping his neck as well--atheist sickening crunches and pops as each vertebrae was forcefully separated.

At this point the vampire was no threat. His body would take weeks to heal properly.

But Marco wasn't done.

He gnawed through the bone under the head was completely separated. As the decapitation was complete the body faded to a cracked graying color. The portion beneath Marco collapsed in a pile of ash. Tanner was stunned--he hadn't seen a werewolf attack to kill before.

It had taken a frighteningly short time.

Marco got back to his feet and shook the ash from his fur. Then he was at his Master's side, worriedly licking his hand. Tanner turned his head to see Griffin gripping the stake stressfully. "Are you--"

"He missed." His voice was faint with shock and pain.

Tanner took a small breath of relief.

~~~

"How was that for date night?" Tanner asked teasingly.

Sven shook his head. "Luca could have gotten hurt."

"You had it under control."

"And so did Marco--I thought you said he couldn't shift?"

"The vet said he couldn't."

"He did. To protect Griffin--will he be alright?"

"He'll be at home recovering later tonight." Tanner replied evenly. To say he wasn't the least bit jolted by the events of the night was a lie.

Marco had saved Griffin's life--surely he couldn't put him down now. And the Empire would be launching an investigation into the death. But there had been countless witnesses and Tanner was certain they would find in their favor. Luca was snoring quietly on the couch while Sven and Tanner had a cup of blood. Tanner needed his energy back--Sven needed something to calm his nerves.

"He could have died."

"True." Tanner had witnessed death up close too often to be as jarred by the concept as Sven. Thanks to Tanner he had been very well sheltered. "But he's fine."

"You're so indifferent."

"I don't dwell on the 'what ifs'." Tanner sipped his drink. "You can take tomorrow off from your usual duties if you'd like--I understand if you need some time."

"Who will care for Luca?"

"I can."

"So you know how to prepare were foods? You know his nap schedule?"

Tanner rolled his eyes. "You act as if I do nothing with him--I can care for him just fine."

"I'll be fine tomorrow. I just need an early night. I trust you can find your own way to bed and you'll be bringing Luca?"

"He'll fine his way if he wakes up." Tanner didn't want to risk waking the boy. Lord knows he would return to his state of hysteria. He was still distressed over what had happened at the restaurant. "But I suppose I can go to bed alone."

Sven wanted to laugh. After everything Tanner still thought he'd be in the mood to put out? "Good night Tanner."

"Good night," the lone vampire sighed.

QOTC: thoughts? How to do you feel about the plot development so far? I would love any constructive criticism!