Chapter 5: Looking

"You know when we split up, you didn't have to come with me" I said to Caroline who had spent the whole hour we had spent walking through the woods complaining.

"You really think I'd leave Bonnie in your hands? Fat chance. I left Fi with you and look where that got her. Do you even know how to read a map?" She said, still complaining. She never stopped.

"I was only taught by my good friend Magellan" I said checking my phone for the map.

"You had a friend? I bet he was drawn to your darkness." She said sarcastically.

"You and I both know that there's an allure to darkness." I said shrugging my shoulders. "My wife and I are a perfect example."

"That's bull and you know it. There is no such a thing as an allure to darkness. Fi being in love with you is beyond me but I know for a fact that it's not your dark side she's attracted to." She snapped.

"Really?" I said stopping and turning to face her. "You really believe that?"

"Yes. People who do terrible things are just terrible people. AKA you." I looked at her stoned face before checking my phone again.

"We're here. Although considering there's a current lack of witches, this isn't the right location." I said talking again.

"Then let's go find the real one." She grumbled and started walking in the other direction.

We walked the rest of the way in mostly silence, with the occasional fussy comment from Caroline. We eventually made it to the witches' circle where Bonnie lay in the middle, crying out in pain.

"They're linked and Bonnie is gonna kill them." Stefan said appearing behind us.

"Not if they kill her first." I muttered. I slammed Stefan against the wall, knowing he was going to choose Bonnie over the other witches.

"We have to save Bonnie" Caroline cried.

"No we don't." I snapped. "The only way to stop the witches is if we kill them and then Silas gets what he wants. And then we have no leverage to get Fiore back."

Caroline hesitated and I thought she had seen sense, but instead she sped over to the witch holding a dagger over Bonnie. She took the dagger and stabbed the witch in the back.

"NO" I roared. She had killed the witch. The massacre was complete and Silas had won. He was going to destroy the other side, take the cure, kill himself and drag Fiore along with him. I had failed her again. I had one last shot. I had to find the cure and make sure that Silas never got to it.

Soon daylight came and we had to do something about the 12 bodies littered around the fields whilst Stefan caught the witch up. Caroline and I dug the graves for the witches and I had finally finished.

"It's done." I said rolling up my sleeves. "Twelve graves for twelve witches almost like it never happened. Except it did and now Silas has everything he needs to open up the gates of hell and take Fiore with him." I threw the shovel at Caroline's head but she managed to catch it. How annoying.

"Bonnie was going to die" She mumbled.

"I know you're not all that good at mathematics but one live is still better than thirteen. Especially when that thirteenth person WAS MY WIFE" I yelled.

"That one person was my best friend." She said walking towards me.

"I'm glad to know how important Fiore is to you." I said angrily. "You know what Caroline; you tell yourself whatever you need to tell yourself so you can get to sleep at night."

"Oh my God" Caroline said clasping her hands over her mouth with the realisation. "I've just killed 12 people. And damned my best friend to be killed by her father." She gasped and looked like she was going to cry.

"Hey" I said placing my hands on her arms. "You look like you need some comforting." She nodded and met my eyes longing but I smiled back cruelly at her. "Why don't you go find someone less terrible that doesn't do such terrible things that you can relate to?" She stormed off and I didn't even think twice about it. My wife was going to be killed because of her, I didn't have time to be comforting a self-centred brat like her.

"Thank you" I turned around and saw Professor Shane. Considering he was about as a dead as a dead person could be, I figured it wasn't him. "Of all the massacres, I was dreading this one the most."

"You must be Silas" I said smiling at my father-in-law.

"And you must be Klaus. The infamous Original Hybrid. And you're looking for your wife? It's funny, this Shane guy, was also looking for his wife." He said chuckling. He didn't know about Fiore and I. That was good, but it was only a matter of time before he did. He may have been in a weakened state, but he had Fiore raiding blood banks, he was getting stronger. "Anyway, I don't have time for pleasantries, where is the cure?"

"Sorry mate" I said patting my pockets. "I don't have it."

"But you know who does have it, right?" he said walking towards me. "Just give me the cure and I'll take it. Then it can't be used on you and you get to live, we both win."

"Do we?" I said laughing. "Because all my supernatural enemies from the Other Side get to live too. I think they'd just come and kill me, but thanks for the offer. You don't scare me Silas" I said glaring at him.

"But this does, right?" He pulled out a white oak stake and showed it to me.

"And where did you manage to find that?" I asked him, trying not to seem scared.

"Your little sister's mind is easier to read than yours is." He said smiling. "Want to reconsider?"

I smiled and then rushed over to him, hoping to surprise him but he vanished. Suddenly he appeared behind me but before I could react he stabbed me with the stake. I yelled out in pain but he broke the stake.

"Don't worry, I'm not going to kill you yet." He whispered. "I'll just leave that in there though, so you never forget me. I'll see you later." He patted me on the shoulder and walked away, leaving reeling on the ground from the pain. Fiore's fear of him seemed to make a lot more sense now.

A/N:  I hope you enjoyed it! Don't forget to leave a comment, vote and follow me!