Chapter 22: A World of Hell

Rebekah waited around the room in a fret over her brother's late return. At times she despised him but he was still blood, he was still her brother. She felt a weight lift from her chest as the door opened and her brother walked in.

"Nik! Finally, I was w—" Rebekah left her sentenced unfinished as her other brother walked in behind him.

"Hello Rebekah" Elijah said smiling at her as she leapt into his arms.

"Elijah you're back!" She exclaimed. "Please tell me you're here to kill Niklaus" She said as she pulled away from her brother and glared at Klaus.

"Just one moment" Elijah said as he walked out the backdoor.

"What's he doing?" She asked Klaus.

"Obviously running straight into Hayley's arms." Klaus said gritting his teeth.

"Of course" Rebekah grumbled. "Just one more person to be second place to."

"Well Rebekah, it seems as if you like those two together even less than I do" Klaus had said with an evil smirk. "You know, we could break them up before it gets any further, the two of us together."

Rebekah stared at her brother hesitantly before slowly nodding her head. "Let's do it"

Her brother threw his head back in laughter and looked at her with a cruel smile. "Even I am not that cruel, sister. And for your favourite brother too" He said shaking his head at her. "I only asked to see if you would do it. But go ahead, by all means, I certainly won't stop you. I would wait until he grows really attached to her though, maybe even marries her if needs be. Nothing hurts more than having the one you love ripped away from you than a family member." Klaus spat as he climbed up the stairs.

Rebekah stared down at the floor, ashamed of what she had planned to do, to Elijah, the one brother that had only ever acted in her best interest. She clenched her fists and thought of how stupid she had been, to confide in Klaus about her diabolical plans, no doubt he would use it against her one day.

"What is it Rebekah?" Elijah asked as he came back into the house.

"Nothing" She said beaming at him. "Just a bit overwhelmed, nothing to worry about."

"If you are certain" Her brother said, still looking at her with concern. "In that case, get Niklaus and Hayley, there is much to discuss."

Rebekah stared at her kind, noble and gentle brother and sighed. She knew there was no way she would ever let him know of the betrayal she had planned to commit, no matter what it took.

"So we're finally reunited as a family and you two want to have a vampire book club?" Rebekah asked as Elijah and I sat opposite each other with our heads down in a book.

"Reading edifies the mind. Right Elijah?" I answered, not lifting my gaze from my book, A Poison Tree.

"Yes, quite right Niklaus" Elijah said doing the same.

"Care to explain this business?" My sister looked down at the recently deceased woman on the table.

"This is our brother's very... twisted idea of an apology" Elijah said in confusion.

"Well after so much time laying desiccated in a coffin I thought that my big brother might be peckish" I sighed, even when I was trying to be kind they were still disappointed in me.

"And I explained to my little brother that the only forgiveness I offer is one that comes after a change in behaviour. One that shows contrition and personal growth." Elijah said in his usual noble manner.