Chapter 20: Try Harder

I stood in my study looking at one of my paintings whilst Cami stood behind me admiring it along with me.

"Who is that?" She asked staring at the portrait of Fiore. "She's stunning"

"Isn't she? I used to talk to her about everything but she's—away." I said as my face toughened up. "So now I choose you, I feel like you can understand someone as... complex as I am. I returned to New Orleans to thwart a threat against me only to discover a pregnant girl in need of my help. My brother, captain of the do-gooders tried to manipulate me into helping her, he thought it would redeem me. The thing is I've found a girl with one vast potential but she's held in captivity, just like a friend of mine. I want to help all three of them, protect the first, free the second and use the second to free the third. Does that sound evil to you Cami?"

"I don't believe in evil as a diagnosis. I think you have unstable personal relationships, stress-related paranoia, chronic anger issues, fear of abandonment. I think you could benefit from talking to someone. Professionally." She said bluntly.

"Did I not say that I prefer to talk to you?" I said sighing at her. "I'm going to offer you a job as my stenographer."

"Sure" She said shrugging her shoulders casually, still staring at the painting. "What do you need me to stenograph?"

"My memoirs. I want my friend to come back and know what she missed." I said with a smile. "I also want someone else in particular to know my story. Plus, we can gab about you and your handsome suitor, Marcel."

"My personal life is— "

"Of importance to me." I finished for her. "Marcel wants you. And, because of that, he will trust you, which serves me. The thing is, the French Quarter is on the verge of war. On the one side there's me, and on the other, Marcel. Along with a very powerful witch and an army of vampires." I looked at her who cowered in fear. "Come on Camille, I thought you were the brave bartender. Don't be scared." I said compelling her.

"Why aren't I scared anymore?" She asked looking positively puzzled.

"It's compulsion" I said with a smirk. "Fun perk of being a vampire and if you really do want to know, so be it, I'll spill my guts, it is girl's night after all, but then again—ladies first. So tell me about our friend Marcel then."

"He told me he's bringing someone to the music festival tonight. A girl he's mentoring. Apparently she's going through a hard time. Rebelling against authority, anger issues, that sort of thing. I guess with my psych degree, he figured I could set her straight, but I said no. "

"Sorry but that was the wrong answer. Say yes." I asked.

"Why even bother being polite if you're just gonna make me do it anyway?" She said frowning at me.

"There's something about you Camille." I said sighing at her. "I know my friend would like you but there's something about you Cami, something we share."

"And what is that?"

"Something I know I will not like, but something that I also cannot turn away from. Therefore, I'm giving you the chance to prove your life is worth something to me. Besides, I don't have the luxury of passing up the opportunity because Marcel's powerful secret weapon also holds my brother captive. Now call Marcel and tell him you're happy to help." She nodded and picked up her phone, doing exactly as I asked of her. "Goodbye Cami, my sister awaits me with the next phase of her plan."

"Nik I remember details about the attic." My sister said as I answered her call. "There were shutters on the window behind his coffin.

"Great! Looking for a needle in a great pile of needles." I said sarcastically. "Marcel's delay in returning our brother makes me suspect he's no longer in charge of the situation. If Davina's loyalty to Marcel is strained, perhaps the young witch will be open to discussing a new alliance. We could lure her over to our side"