Chapter 8: Ruin The Moment

Elijah and Rebekah arrived early this morning and I had breakfast prepared for the three of us. We sat at the table in silence until Rebekah started up, obviously eager to take the cure.

"Elijah" she began. "Being a human means I can get a new start, grow old, have a family and fill each day with meaning, because I know that it counts."

"How poetic" I said laughing at her.

"Well Niklaus." Elijah said turning to face me. "Do you have a more compelling reason for wanting the cure?"

"Yes actually I do." I couldn't tell them about Silas having Fiore, I had already told Caroline, despite having strict orders not to, but I still needed the cure. "Silas can appear as anyone, he got into my head, made me see who I wanted to see, he even convinced me that I was dying. And now he plans to torment me until I give him the cure."

"Which he plans to take and break down the wall to the Other Side." Rebekah told Elijah, he was leaning towards her I could tell.

"Because he doesn't want to be trapped there when he dies, he wants to be with his soulmate. Isn't that just heartwarming?" I said to Elijah, hoping he would be convinced by his heart strings.

"You of all lovesick fools would applaud his devotion" Rebekah sneered at me. "He will open the floodgates for every supernatural being that has ever died ever Niklaus, most of which died by your hand."

"Yes but we will also be reunited with our dear brothers Finn and Kol. We'll have our family back, once again, reunited." I knew Elijah, he would never be able to resist the opportunity of our family.

"That's a load of bollocks, you hated Kol and you left Finn in a box for most of his life" My sister spat.

"Elijah please, you're fating me to an eternity of torture, haven't I been through enough? My wife, your sister and best friend, is missing. Can't you do this one thing for me?" I pleaded.

"I've made my decision. Our sister deserves a shot at her happiness." Elijah said.

"Wait. Silas has her." I blurted out. "He has Fiore."

"He's lying"

"NO I AM NOT REBEKAH" I said slamming my hand on the table. "Silas is her father and he took her away. He's holding her captive, he plans to replicate the cure and take her with him. If I give him the cure, I can convince him to return Fiore."

"I'm sorry Niklaus but a bargain that may or may not go through, is not enough to put the world in jeopardy." Elijah said looking down on the table.

"So that's it? We're just giving up on Fiore because Rebekah wants to die?" I snapped. Neither looked up at me and instead stared blankly at the table, hiding their cowardice. I walked over to Rebekah and leaned down to speak directly in her ear. "When you're sick and dying, and you beg for my blood, I will laugh in your face and compel you to forget me."

"Wait Niklaus." Elijah said pulling me back as I started to leave the room. "We will find Fiore, you have my word, but not like this."

"How do you even know that Rebekah will still want to be human tomorrow? Or the next day? Or the next year?" I asked him. "Then my wife will still be missing, Silas will continue to taunt me and it would all be in vain because Rebekah couldn't make her mind up"

"Niklaus makes a good point, Rebekah." Elijah said turning to face her. "It's no secret that you are impulsive, emotional, and at times morally questionable. Prove to me this isn't just another one of your whims, that you know precisely what you are giving up here."

"What do you want me to do?" Rebekah said defiantly.

"I want you to live a day as a human. This day. No vampire privileges—no strength, no compulsion, no nothing. If you succeed, if you still believe this is what you want, the cure is yours." Elijah told her.