Chapter 9: Unfailing Optimism

~Rebekah POV~

"I'm sorry Bekah, but I can't just make you prom queen." Rebekah was standing by April at the voting table, begging to be made prom queen. "It's based on votes and you haven't gotten any so far."

"And you couldn't just help out a friend?" She pleaded.

"No I can't" She stood up taller before continuing to talk. "And you can't compel me, I drink vervain tea."

"I wasn't going to compel you April." Rebekah told her sadly. It hurt that the one person she thought was actually her friend, still managed to be distrustful of her. Suddenly Elena appeared and pinned April against the wall, clutching her neck tightly.

"You can't be compelled, but I can kill you." She sneered. "Make Rebekah prom queen."

"Leave her alone Elena!" Rebekah yelled. Elena let go and April scurried away quickly.

"You were going to do the same thing. Remember when you tortured me, ruined my relationship with Stefan and then trapped us with a werewolf? You aren't a good person and you won't get the cure by being you. So just stay in one place and don't talk to anybody, okay? I need you to get this cure so I don't get it, so you're gonna take my help, like it or not."

~Klaus POV~

"This is for you brother." Elijah held the last white oak stake in his hands and offered it to me.

"Where did you get that?"

"From Rebekah, it'll make no difference to her once she's human."

"Why give it to me?" I asked him suspiciously as I took the stake from him.

"With the stake you have nothing to fear" he said calmly.

"Except Silas" I scoffed.

"You've survived endless torment before, you'll survive this. Or at least outrun him" I laughed at my brother's unfailing optimism.

"Of course, it's as simple as that, and what about Fiore?" I asked him angrily. "Does she get to survive? Does she get to outrun him? The answer is no because by giving Rebekah the cure you've sentenced her to death."

"We will find Fiore without the cure. I assure you Niklaus"

"What makes you think I'll spare the love of your life? What if I go and sentence Katerina to death like you have done to Fiore?" I asked him smiling cruelly. "She had a part to play in Blossom's abduction at least it'll be warranted."

"You will spare her because I am asking you to spare her. As your family, as your only living brother, I would ask that you provide me with this opportunity to feel, to care. To love."

"Why would I want to do that with you whilst my wife rots away, waiting until her death finally comes along?" I snapped closing the distance that was left between us. "I gave you the opportunity, to be with me, to be with us. And you sided against me. So if I run, it'll be to chase Katherine. And as your only living brother, I will make it my cause that you never know a moment of happiness, because you have taken away the only chance I had at mine."

"What did you do Niklaus?" Elijah stopped and stared at me intensely.

"What are you talking about?" I sneered.

"I've seen you parted from Fiore. Before you go after her, you throw a temper tantrum and kill what equates to a small village." He stepped closer to me and I took a step back away from him. He knew. "Seeing as you've skipped your first step, it leads me to believe that you've committed another sin against her, so what did you do?"

"Nothing" I said quickly.

"If you lie, I cannot help you brother."

"I slept with someone. Since she's been away." I said feebly.

"I see. Just one more indiscretion to add to your ever growing list" Elijah said judging me and shaking his head.

"If I find her soon, then I can convince her to forgive me." I said definitively.

"It is such a hollow little life that you lead, Niklaus." Elijah said touching my face pitifully. "You say that I have sentenced her to death, but you have condemned her to a lifetime of pain."

**********************************************************************************

~April POV~

April got up on to the stage holding the envelope and tapped on the podium's microphone.

"Okay everybody, it's time to announce this year's prom king and queen" She said beaming down at the crowd, who had now turned to look at her. "Your prom king and queen is..." April looked down at the piece of paper that clearly read Bonnie Bennett and Matt Donovan, but when she opened her mouth to speak, her head flooded with only thoughts of a different name. "Matt Donovan and Rebekah Mikaelson!"

The crowd cheered and clapped, whilst the spotlight found its way to Rebekah and Matt. She didn't know why she said Rebekah's name, she had gotten no votes and she hadn't won, but she didn't want to say it was Bonnie either.

She smiled and crowned both Rebekah and Matt before she walked off of the stage and to one of the tables. She took the card and stuck it inside a concealed compartment in the table. She hadn't even known that it was there but she knew she had to put it there. It was like her thoughts had been invaded but as soon as she hid the card, she had forgotten what she was thinking about. She smiled at her friend who was lucky enough to be crowned Prom Queen and went on to enjoy the rest of the dance.

A/N: I hope you enjoyed this one as much as i enjoyed writing it! I know in the series Bonnie won but I felt so bad for Rebekah, because she was really trying her best to just become human again, so i made sure Fiore did a little compelling of her own! Anyway, dont forget to comment, vote and follow me! X